Hooking up 4.1 to TV (or receiver)

Roach

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Paragon:

erm.. yeah. "for direct connection to the Pros" would mean just that. You need to get all 3 parts or similar.

Paragon,

I want to hook up the pros to my receiver while getting rid of the pros preamp and using my reveiver as the preamp. Is this possible, anybody?

thanks in advance

quote:

Originally posted by Dan F:

You could hook them up to the tape out jacks using the cables suggested by Paragon; however you would not be able to control volume with the Onkyo remote.

Looks like it's not a particularly good match.

-djf

DanF,

Is there a way I can hook up the pro's sub to the onkyo's sub preout connection and then just hook up the satellites to the receiver's speaker outputs and use the receiver to drive the satellites.

Is this possible, anybody?

quote:

Originally posted by xteagle:

DanF,

Is there a way I can hook up the pro's sub to the onkyo's sub preout connection and then just hook up the satellites to the receiver's speaker outputs and use the receiver to drive the satellites.

bump

quote:

DanF,

quote:

DanF,

It's not recommended. The satellites were designed to work best with the ProMedia amplifier. The satellite channels of the amplifier have a high pass filter on them to carefully match the subwoofer output at the crossover point; and to keep the satellite drivers from distorting with low bass.

The Onkyo receiver does not have this filter, so the result will be distortion at low frequencies, and excursion related stress on the speakers.

So, no, I don't recommend this.

DanF,

The Onkyo 595 does have bass management. I can set all speakers to "small" on the Onkyo and that will keep the receiver from sending the full frequency range to the satellites. Is this the kind of filter your talking about? It probably won't be as well matched as the klipsch amps, but it shouldn't distort if I set my receiver speaker outputs to "small".

Anyway I'm going to try this, if it doesn't sound as good I'll just have to get different speakers, but I was hoping I could use the pro's with my receiver without having to use my computer.

Thanks for the help,

xteagle