Why does Klipsch charge tax over the internet?

Martice

I was ordering a certain piece from Klipsch and when I was checking out I noticed a whopping $14.00 of taxes added on to my price. I don't think they are located in my state so am I missing the reason why they are charging taxes when no one else is charging taxes?

Thanks

Clark Howard, a syndicated financial talk show radio host in Atlanta, discussed this a couple days ago. Consequently, there is a lot of pressure by the states to impose sales tax on mail-order and internet purchases to help fill the coffers. Many companies (Amazon, too), are starting to withold sales tax in anticipation of this new money grab becoming law.

It's going to be a problem in GA as the amount of sales tax varies depending on in which county one resides. I'm in Cobb county which has a 5% sales tax, but adjacent Fulton county (Atlanta) has a 7% sales tax. My mailing address is Roswell (part of Fulton county), but I don't live in the city limits. I live in unincorporated Cobb county.

Guest Webmaster

We have to by law charge tax for any state that we have a nexus in so we have to charge tax on any online order being placed in Indiana, Arkansas, California, New York and Washington. I believe that the NY nexus is just property we aquired when Klipsch bought Mondial. Looking at the chart, it looks like NY has the highest tax rate of any of the states that we charge tax for.

----------------

On 3/19/2003 9:23:37 AM Webmaster wrote:

We have to by law charge tax for any state that we have a nexus in so we have to charge tax on any online order being placed in Indiana, Arkansas, California, New York and Washington. I believe that the NY nexus is just property we aquired when Klipsch bought Mondial. Looking at the chart, it looks like NY has the highest tax rate of any of the states that we charge tax for.
----------------

Sales tax = 11.gif

j/k 2.gif