Amp for the DIY crowd

formica

Just thought Id give you guys a heads up on the JBL amps on liquidation... the prices are incredible (and include shipping) and they would make great sub amps as they are bridgeable... but there are catches:

The amplifiers in question are JBL MPC200 (200Wx2 @8ohms 143$ shipping included) and MPC300 (300Wx2 @8ohms 193$ shipping included), which were originally manufactured by QSC and are the same as the QSC-CX4 and QSC-CX6. They are unfortunately 220V units for the export market but can easily be rewired for 120V as they are internally equipped to handle both 120V and 220V. I posted the question on the QSC tech forum at

http://www.qscaudio.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000006

JBL is liquidating these amps directly at their Tent Sale as Harmon now sells (owns) Crown amps. They have about 90units left... as well as two slightly higher end (but still 220V) MPA275 and MPA750. I don't know if the MPA series can be as easily rewired though.

The link is:

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/sale_items.htm

The other catch is that the sale is for US mailing addresses only, which could be a pain in the butt for us Canadians. I hope this can be of some use to someone...

I've ordered a MPC200 and probably will get a Tempest although the AV-15 still isn't out of the picture.

Later...

Rob.

"Power Requirements: 230V AC, 50 Hz (Not user configurable)"

Are you sure about the mains power? JBL seems quite sure.

"Output power ratings from 225W to 600W per channel into 4 ohms.

Output Power (per ch. into 4 ohms)

MPC200 225 W

MPC300 300 W

MPC600 600 W"

Power specs are for 4 ohms, not the 8 that you mentioned, and full power is only rated 45hz~20Khz. The bridge power ratings are for 1Khz.

I think they are a good deal, but be sure you can use what they are: a 230V fan cooled PA amp.

Pars Express is selling their 250W sub amp for $120 with free freight. Its got a crossover, no fan, auto signal sense, etc.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/electronics/MPC_Amps.pdf

One last note, Input Connectors: Euro-style detachable header with screw-down terminal for bare wires

(that means NO input jacks of any kind, which is fine for permanent installs)

I did verify with JBL about whether they are 230V units and the fact that the brochure mentions they are not configurable... they responded:

"Hi Rob You can change the units to 120V!!! Do you have a Fax # I do not have

the mod in a pdf sorry..."

I also have the fax (which I can scan and post) about the modification... ironically it's a QSC document for the CX4 and CX6, but he (JBL) explains that they are basically the same model. I haven't tried the modification yet, but it's basically moving 2 connectors and a new power cable. I can let you guys know how it works out.

Sorry about the typo you are right that the 225W is into 4ohms x 2 channels and I also realise that the 700W x 1 @ 4 ohms is very optimistic. The thing I found interesting is the unit is rated for a 450W x 1 @ 8ohms with 0.1THD and from 20 to 20kHz. I'm guessing about 600W x 1 @ 4ohms clean? This can be very useful for people looking into some of the new subs like the Stryke AV15. I guess it's more of an economical option to the QSC RMX850 than a competitor to the PA #300-794 plate amp (you would need two PA-300-794 to produce that power... or one Adire A750 plate amp). Like you also mentioned, it's got screw-down terminals just like my klipsch ;)

It's definitely not for everyone, but I think that could be said about most passive subwoofers.

Later...

Rob

QSC do make some of the more musical pro-amplifiers... but there is a lot of different opinions on using pro-amplifiers for critical full frequency listening. I guess a lot of it is a question of taste. The small differences between one amplifier and another are a lot less distinguishable at lower frequencies, which is why they are so common as sub amps.

You have to also consider, as was mentioned earlier, most pro-amps has internal fans which may be audible when listening at lower volumes. But to drive your SVS or DIY subwoofer, they fit the bill perfectly.