Klipsch DD5.1 Compatible with Audgy2?

MrBW

I am goin to be purchasing the Klipsch DD5.1 within the next 2 weeks and also purchasing the Audigy2, I was just wondering with anyone has any problems between the two? Would anyone recommend me getting the M-audio Revolution 7.1 over the Audigy2? And does anyone have any particular problems with the Audigy2 and there current MOBOs? I am running a PIII 933mhz system, my MOBO is an Intel D815eea2. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The DD5.1 is compatible with the Audigy2. I currently have the Audigy2 and DD5.1, but don't use the DD5.1 for games! The digital out on the Audigy2 (and any sound card for that matter with the exception of nForce2) is only Stereo or matrix-encoded Prologic. The only time you get 5.1 output using digital out is when you pass through a movie soundtrack (which sounds great, btw). The DD5.1 does not have 5.1 analog inputs. For movies, the DD5.1 is significantly better than the Audigy2's built in decoding, and it adds DTS. So, use the DD5.1 when you are watching movies, or listening to stereo music .. but for gaming use the Audigy2. This does require you to swap wires .. I'm trying to find a cheap set of adapters to make this easier but haven't had any luck yet.

My primary reason for purchasing the DD5.1 was so I could play my XBox through my promedia speakers. Audigy2 does have a digital in, but the decoding is done in software which introduces an unacceptable amount of lag for gameplay (sometimes the sound would be half a second behind the action). The DD5.1 handles the decoding flawlessly.

I have had no compatibility issues with the Audigy2. I'm using an ASUS A7N8X motherboard (nForce2 chipset). I've never used the Revolution 7.1, but I can tell you the Audigy2 is a great card. Many of the Audigy's faults have been corrected (poor quality DAC's, horrible 5.1 channel upmixing, buggy software) .. I have yet to find anything I haven't liked about the Audigy2. But that's just my opinion, a lot of people here will think differently. 9.gif

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate the heads up on the swaping of the cables. I'm also leaning on the idea of Audigy2 more then anyother. And if you do find a set of adapters, if you wouldn't mind, plz post the link on the thread, i would like to add it aswell, THANKS! ;)

The best bet I've found for adapters is here (you'd need three):

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=42%2D2496

These particular cables are only six inches in length, so the DD-5.1 would need to be close to your PC. I haven't been able to find a similar product with more length, but I am by no means familiar with the various locations to buy audio accessories. I'm sure there are many people in this forum that can find a better price or a better product .. if so let's hear it! 2.gif

What I mean "with the exception of the nForce2" is that the nForce is the only sound solution right now that can OUTPUT an encoded dolby digital 5.1 signal in real time. It is definitely compatible with the DD-5.1. All sound cards are. The difference is that all sound cards except nForce output only a STEREO signal through digital out. The nForce and nForce2 can encode a Dolby Digital signal in realtime, giving you 5.1 speaker output through the digital out jack. In other words, no sound card can "make" a dolby digital signal except the nForce .. sure they can forward a Dolby Digital signal (like from a DVD) or decode a signal .. but they can't actually encode one. To get 5.1 output out of a sound card (except the nForce), you have to use the analog jacks which don't connect to the DD-5.1 'cuz it only has stereo analog inputs. Wow, I'm confusing myself. Hope that helps, at least a little! 9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Swank, I got my DD5.1 and my klipsch 5.1's.

I love em. I also have the same mobo as you, a7n8xDlx. I am thinking of getting a Audigy 2 for music and gaming. Will I get better sound with this card instead of the nforce audio? What differnces do you notice from the 2 when you listen to music. I think with the audigy the overall noise is louder from what I have read when listening to music.

Thx

The original Audigy had some serious sound quality problems. Audigy2 is much improved, with brand new DAC's. Check out this article .. it has more info than I can put here.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/audigy2_versus_nforce2/

The Audigy2 with EAX Advanced titles really is an amazing gaming experience. However, the nForce2 is good because you can get 5.1 gaming through the DD5.1 with DICE (Dolby Interactive Content Encoding) .. with the Audigy2 you only get stereo sound through the DD5.1, unless you're watching a movie in passthrough mode. As far as quality goes, the Audigy2 and nForce2 should be identical when using the digital out because the DAC's are in the DD5.1. The article linked above does a lot of signal quality testing that should help you decide if it's worth the upgrade. 1.gif