KLF 20 and reciever recomendations

handig

I have acquired a pair of KLF 20's and also a KLF C7, Don't know what kind of rears to get yet, won't have money for 6 months so I have time.

I have found a tremendous amount of information posted on these boards and thought I would ask some of you ypur ideas on a reciever. I am in the process of closing on a house, so not only will I have a new HT system to be putting together this year but also Garage repairs, new deck, fence etc. The room has beatiful hardwood floors ( I plan to put down 8x10 area rug)and is 13x21, drapes on windows (2).

I would like to have 6.1 capabilities and also 2 channel stereo. Probally 70% music, 30% movies. I can only afford $450 including shipping and am open to reman's or used. I have been thinking of Marants SR5200, Outlaw 1050 and HK AV325. all of these units would be Remans. I am open to any suggestions and would like to hear what works well with these speakers. Thanks

As far as reman recievers, you can buy direct from Harmon Kardon on their ebay store for fairly resonable prices. I've never bought anything from them but it looks sound, as it still carries a factory warrenty and all. As far as surounds, the KLF 20's, (which are amazing speakers by the way. I've been tring to get some myself) are accousticly closest to the refrence line of speakers. I would recomend the RB3 or RB5 bookshelfs, but that's merely personal prefrence.

Handig, I had that same dilemna 2 years ago. I originally got the KLF-20's for 2 channel, got hooked on a friends home theater, bought a new Carver AV-705x amp from OneCall, got a KLF-C7 center off UBID(best center channel I've heard to date), which left me with the dilemma of a pre/pro and rear channels. Went to the local Sound Advice and they let me audition some pre/pro's and rears at home. Ended up with the B&K Ref 30 with RB-5's, got a steal of a price on the RB-5's, $390 for the pair, since they were discontinued. To make a long story short, this set-up is clean, clear, precise, bass solid as well, and the Klipsch speakers match-up unbelievably. You won't need much power since they're all extremely efficient, and if you add an Audio Control Rialto EQ it gets even better.

----------------

On 3/24/2003 10:48:43 AM handig wrote:

I have acquired a pair of KLF 20's and also a KLF C7, Don't know what kind of rears to get yet, won't have money for 6 months so I have time.

I have found a tremendous amount of information posted on these boards and thought I would ask some of you ypur ideas on a reciever. I am in the process of closing on a house, so not only will I have a new HT system to be putting together this year but also Garage repairs, new deck, fence etc. The room has beatiful hardwood floors ( I plan to put down 8x10 area rug)and is 13x21, drapes on windows (2).

I would like to have 6.1 capabilities and also 2 channel stereo. Probally 70% music, 30% movies. I can only afford $450 including shipping and am open to reman's or used. I have been thinking of Marants SR5200, Outlaw 1050 and HK AV325. all of these units would be Remans. I am open to any suggestions and would like to hear what works well with these speakers. Thanks
----------------

I started with a similar setup, and have gradually made a few "upgrades" over time (see equipment list below). When I began, I had the 20s and a C7 center and some odds and ends for surrounds. Eventually, I went for the KSP-S6 surrounds as they were touted as the "closest" timbre match to the Legend series. The S6s are now virtually impossible to find and amazingly expensive (actually, I recently sold my pair to make room for a 4-speaker array of KLF-C7s on back and side surrounds). As you get ready to add to your speaker system for surrounds, do not underestimate the benefits of a perfectly timbre matched set of surrounds for your Legends. If space/price isn't a factor, there are those who would tell you to find another set of KLF-20s (or even 2) so you'd have the exact same speakers all around for rears and center front and center rear duty (if possible). I have heard such a setup and can attest to the efficacy with which such a perfectly matched surround setup creates a smooth, coherent and enveloping soundfield.

I couldn't afford an array of 20s nor does my house have the space for all those floor-standing towers, but I think I've settled on the next best thing. I have 4 KLF-C7s as surrounds and I love the effect--the soundfield is virtually seamless and the only differences between the mains/center/surrounds that really draw my attention to them during pans/flyovers are primarily due to room acoustics. I personally didn't hear that much difference between the C7s and the WDST type of sound the S6s provided--though that's probably a bit personal preference and a bit room layout/design--please don't take my word as the only measure of performance. But, the C7s are beefy, responsive, and already timbre matched to the KLF-20s you have pounding away up front. Plus, there are those who insist that direct radiating speakers are also better for music surround than WDST designs like some of the other Klipsch surrounds; so a full-range, direct radiating speaker like the C7 in a surround position might serve you well given your preference for music listening. I would encourage you to keep your eye out on ubid or ebay and you can probably pick up a pair for less than a "premier" set of Klipsch's latest surround offerings.

As for receiver recs, all those listed above are excellent contenders in the sub $500 mid-fi category; I'm sure you'd be happy with any of them. I would also encourage you to look at Denon's entry-level receivers. I only recently upgraded to the flagship 5803...before that, I was powering it all with a "lowly" bottom-end Denon AVR-1800. Only 80 WPC and 5.1 surround (no 6.1, PLII, etc.), but that little receiver brought us hours of enjoyment via the KLF-20s/C7 setup like you've got, and it never felt wanting or strained (though I don't listen to anything at "reference" levels so I doubt I ever hit the ceiling on what this receiver could do). The newer versions have 6-channel amplification, a really pleasant 5/6/7-channel stereo option that is excellent for 2-channel music sources, and all the newest A/V surround formats (DD-EX, DTS-ES, NEO:6 and PLII) so you'd be set for quite a while. There are LOTS of Denon/Klipsch aficionados on this board who would probably give you the same advice as the Denons seem to mate very effectively with just about anything Klipsch produces. Regardless of your decision, I hope you enjoy your new Legend HT.

Cheers,

J.T.

Stuff my wife thinks I have more fun with than her...

Denon AVR-5803 (THX Ultra2 Receiver)

Panasonic TH42PWD5UY (42" ED Plasma Display)

2 Klipsch KLF-20s (Left / Right)

1 Klipsch KLF-10 (Center - not YET horizontalized)

4 Klipsch KLF-C7s (Side and Rear Surrounds)

1 Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Denon DVD-1600 (Progressive DVD Video/Audio Player)

Pioneer DVL-919 (DVD/LD Combo-Player)

Yamaha CDC-735 (CD Changer, only used as transport)

JVC HRS8000U (S-VHS VCR)

Panamax 1000+ (Power Conditioner)

Thanks for your ideas, very helpfull.

As I have been looking at all the information available, one of the items I would like to have is A/B speaker select also . I realize that there are other ways around this. I started looking at this Marantz SR7200 which I have read in forums to be a great reciever also,however doesn't have the DTS-ES. Which I don't know if the DTS would be fine for me.

It seems that the longer I take looking around, my budget gets stretched higher - doesn't that seem to be the Norm with this stuff. Again thanks for the input. Surrounds hopefully in next 2months now.