Problem when installing software

Kain

Most of the time, when I install games or other stuff on my computer, my computer will either just freeze or reboot at some point during the installation process. However, if I DISABLE DMA for my CD drive, then this problem goes away, but then CD performance is very low.

People told me this is the "VIA bug" or something like that. How do I fix this?

I have the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. Do you think this problem will go away if I install Windows 2000 with the NTFS file system?

By the way, my PC's specs are as follows:

AMD Thunderbird 1.0GHz@1.0GHz

AOpen AK73 Pro -VIA KT133 chipset-

2x 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV3 222

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB -7200RPM, Ultra ATA/100-

LiteOn 52X/24X/52X CD-ReWriter

AOpen DVD-1640 Pro -16X DVD/40X CD-

ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO -retail version- (ATI Catalyst 03.1 driver)

Hercules Game Theater XP

Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT

CSW DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital

Windows 98 Second Edition

have you tried flashing the bios yet? check the mfg's website for new firmware for your motherboard.

i've had similar issues with Windows Me. My system would either reboot or shutdown on software/game installs that took a lot (ie: copied lots of files). Anyway, i moved upto Windows XP and haven't had any problems since.

Mind you, I use NTFS but only on the partition where XP is installed. You don't have to use NTFS if you don't want it. There are advantages to it, though. It doesn't fragment as badly as FAT16/32 and is less likely to become corrupted when your computer is shutdown incorrectly. There are more advantages, i'm sure but those are the main ones i think. although, the disadvantage is that it's more difficult to recover Windows if you have NTFS.

Meaning that you can't simply create a DOS bootdisk and run scandisk on the partition/drive to fix your problems.

My advice to you, if you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP, is to create a parition about 8 Gigabytes and install windows onto that. put your games, mp3's, etc...(not applications) on the 2nd/remaining partition.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you are a gamer you probably don't want to go to Win2000 (because of HAL). If you are going to update OS's go to WinXP. Having said that, most likely it is a problem witht he chipset. Make sure you have installed all the patches. And I don't just mean drivers, they have all sorts of registry patches for the VIA chipset. Also, make sure that if your CD-ROM drive is on the same cable as another drive you don't have it set to Cable Select, just tell it master or slave. There may also be an IDE busmaster patch you should look for. Usually freezing up like this is a problem with hardware and not a function of the OS (directly). Of course ME is a POS and no one should ever install it. If you have a copy of Win2000 install it and run through installing a game and try to get it to lock up. Most likely the problem will be spelled out in a STOP error or in the system log.