LaScala bass cab strenghtening.

Shock-Late

When I bought my Scalas the previous owner had fitted two wooden bars in each cab, between external walls and "V", in order to limit vibrations. But he did it so ugly I decided to remove themfrom one of the speakers and listen if I could live without them. Well, it's strange but I think they actually sound better WITHOUT strenghtening. You sure feel the walls vibrate more without it, but it sounds like the resonance frequency in the strenghtened one is higher, and that way more in the midband, adding a coloration to the sound that is more diffuse on the non-strenghtened cab. Maybe some mods are not that great; tell me what do you think about that. After all, maybe mine were only badly modified, with poor wood, I don't know...

Frans

• 2 weeks later...

I put my braces in my la scalas in order to stop the vibration that you were talking about. To me, it made the bass a little tighter like with drums and some lower vocals. I see what you are saying about the resonance freq. but i figured that the braces probably moved the res. freq. quite above the woofers capability making that observation irrelevant. That is quite possible and ill do some more listening. Thanks for bringing it up!