Best sub match for Fortes

RickMo

----------------

On 4/15/2003 10:19:44 AM easylistener wrote:

I would look at some other subs. The forte's go pretty low already and the ksws just won't geive you enough. At least look at the rsw-12 or 15. Also you might want to look at some other brands. Do you listen to music only or movies? What percent of a mix do you listen to?

----------------

Thanks for the input. First off, my HT/music ratio is probably 70/30.

Since I'm on a tight, low budget I'm resigned to lowering my expectations. While I'd like to have window-shaking, snow-melting rumbling in-your-face bass, I'm ready to settle for a smaller incremental upgrade. Instead of a knock-out punch, I'd like to merely punch-up my system a few notches.

You mentioned other brands in addition to the RSW-series ... did you have anything in mind that I should consider?

(I'm actually quite surprised and pleasantly pleased by the performance of the Fortes.)

----------------

On 4/15/2003 4:49:39 PM WHPHEL wrote:

If you can find on or better yet 2 get a SW12 series II (great sub and matches well with the fortes).

----------------

That's good to know. I'll keep an eye out for the SW12. Thx

If you have a budget around $600, then you could get a nice SVS for that price. Otherwise, if it is $400 down, a KSW-12 is sufficient. Plenty for me... though at times in movies, I worry that is works too hard... that air is just pouring out.

I use a KSW12 with my Forte II's. I mostly leave it off for music. Since I am not way into explosions or pipe organ music I think that it does just fine. It certainly makes a difference in movies. Tweeter in Houston is selling KSW12 for about $250.00. If you live near a Tweeter check one out

Hey, I really appreciate all the suggestions. The top of my budget is $400 and that's pushing it. In my searches I've found some JBLs, Polk, Infinity that fit my budget. I'm really dreading the thought of doing listening tests, though I know I'll eventually have to. Listening to various speakers at various stores under various environments (and imagining how they'll match with the Fortes) brings back those old memories of frustration from the '60s and '70s that I went through. I'm really not looking forward to it.

Thanks again. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I started this thread I thought I'd bring it full circle.

I eventually bought a Polk PSW450 for $250 delivered. (My budget was squeezed even more by a sudden, unexpected expense.) The bottom line: For $250 I'm happy with this sub. It delivers quite a floor-shaking output and much of the bass is clean and clear. It does a great job for my music tastes (rock and jazz) and produces a nice jolt for movies such as Jurassic Park, Men in Black, and the famous Pod Race scene from Star Wars I. I did find a shortcoming, though. In the Bond flick GOLDENEYE there's not only a lot of on-screen explosions and earth-shaking scenes, but more importantly, I found, was the music. The music during the opening title sequence is full of low bass information. (In fact, much of the background music contains the same kind of low, low bass notes.) I can definitely feel it shaking the house and I can HEAR the individual notes, but there a considerable amount of boom.

I'm sure if I hear it side-by-side with a much more expensive sub (SVS? KSW?), I'd hear a distinct difference. But again, for the price point I'm happy.

Thanks for you all input. I searched for some of the suggested subs but was unable to find any (or I was late in bidding).