Panasonic SA-HE100

ccrfan

I purchased the SA-HE100 several months ago, because my Denon AVR-2801 died. I thought I would only have it for a short time, while I saved up for a Denon 3803. My plan was then to move the Panasonic to my family room and do 6.1 channel there. I am leaving it in my HT setup beacause it sounds great! I know there are a lot of Denon fans (which I used to be one of), and others who spend big bucks on receivers and separates. I feel that for the $ this thing can't be beat. Very clear and natural sounding and never distorted. This thing has belted out everything I've given it.

I have waited to change my signature line, because I thought I would not be using the Panasonic long, but it will stay.

The other point I would like to bring up is that I have had a Denon receiver and Onkyo integrated amp. that have died. They can be fixed, but the cost to fix them is twice what this receiver costs. If receivers are not going to last longer than that, why spend the big bucks.

Another point I have is that 6.1 will soon be commonplace, if not already. There are always new surround formats on the horizon and when they come out everybody ditches there two-year old receiver and spends another $800 + to get the latest and greatest. With this Panasonic, I will not feel the least bit of anxiety replacing it in a few years, to upgrade to 10.1, or whatever else my be coming. Plus it gives me more money to spend on Klipsch!

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to say what's on my mind.2.gif

I got SAHE200 for a couple of weeks from Curcuit City. Build quality is excellent, high on WAF, and at less than $500 makes a pretty good value. I particularly enjoyed some features like Sub level adjustment from remote (in increments of 5 dB). Don;t know what the real power ratings of this unit were, but it managed to fill my huge family room. On the downside: 1)set up and manual could be a bit more user-friendly; 2) after a while I noticed I was getting tired of listening to the music: in my case it looks like the combination of RF3s and SAHE200 produced a bit too bright sound (upper mids, lower hi's) and at the same time I noticed some lack of mid to higher HFs. Music sounded more aggressiv than usual.

I returned the unit to the store and later got Denon 3803 - well, that's what I call a true value (I got my Denon for 750 which was a steal).

So in short, depending on your room and speakers you might find this receiver either excellent or so-so, but even given the criticism SAHE200 still deserves serious consideration.

Also, wanted to suggest Outlaw 1050. This is a very serious piece of equipment at very affordable price. Regular price is 499, but you can get them factory refurbished at much lower prices.

----------------

On 4/17/2003 9:17:13 AM jeffgeorge wrote:

I feel that for the $ this thing can't be beat. Very clear and natural sounding and never distorted. This thing has belted out everything I've given it.

...The other point I would like to bring up is that I have had a Denon receiver and Onkyo integrated amp. that have died. They can be fixed, but the cost to fix them is twice what this receiver costs. If receivers are not going to last longer than that, why spend the big bucks.

Another point I have is that 6.1 will soon be commonplace, if not already. There are always new surround formats on the horizon and when they come out everybody ditches there two-year old receiver and spends another $800 + to get the latest and greatest. With this Panasonic, I will not feel the least bit of anxiety replacing it in a few years, to upgrade to 10.1, or whatever else my be coming. Plus it gives me more money to spend on Klipsch!

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to say what's on my mind.
2.gif

----------------

I absolutely could not agree more. The SA-HE200 I have on order from J&R is destined for my family room / HT, but I am going to try it out temporarily in the muzak room, mainly to check out DPL-II with two-channel music. Plus, if overall sound quality with my horns is high enough, I may lower my sights for my next planned music rig equipment upgrade. Instead of looking at $1500-$2000 receivers, maybe I could be satisfied with something much cheaper. After all, if you've got klipsch, you may as well cash in that "high-sensitivity" dividend, when it comes time to shop for amplification. Not many of us really need more than a good, clean 50 watts per channel, anyway.

6.gif