Pulled the ST-70 off the Outlaw and onto PAS3

kjohnsonhp

I got my PAS3 repaired and hooked it up to my ST-70 and Cornwalls tonight. I've read that the PAS3 is probably the low-end of the tube pre-amps but I wanted to get an all tube sound. I can now shop for a better tube pre and have a reference to the improvement.

I would say the PAS3 changes the sound from using the Outlaw as a pre. I'm going to do more testing before describing the deltas.

One thing I noticed is that I can't find a ground screw for the PHONO other than one of the screws that olds the jacks to the back plate...it seems to work.

kjohnsonhp,

Good luck with your pas 3 ! I found mine from the beginning to after a complete rebuild to be sort of a the lifeless side it sounded good but just not alive. It also seems to lack in the low end department. I now have 2 other preamps a Scott 130 and a EICO HF-85 I like them both very much. With CD's and other high level sources the HF-85 is the winner. With Vinyl the Scott walks all over the HF-85 the advantage is large with the Scott phono section while the HF-85s advantage with High Level sources is very small so the Scott wins in my book (but vinyl is important to me). With the prices about double on ebay for the Scott if one doesn't use LP's I would never sugest the extra money for the Scott. Of coarse there is always the cosmetics and the Scott wins hands down in my book there too !

My Stereo 70 has really come along. I did the final tweaking to it. Took some coaching from good old Mark but she is sounding great ! But I think I'm going to sell it to help finance the purchase of Mark III's from Mark. I just have to have a pair I've missed them ever since I dropped Dale's off at Fed Ex.

Craig

I'm actively shopping for a better pre-amp. At least I now have something as a reference. The Scott pre-amp sounds interesting as I have 3,000 lps. I've been looking for the Cary SLP-70, Wright Sound, too. Any other phono recommendations?

I read that the bottlehead is much better than the PAS3 but it requires a phono stage.

Let me know when you sell your ST-70. It might be a better value than doing more tweaks on mine, and I could sell mine.

If you decide to shop for a Scott preamp the LC-21 is also a nice option. The 130 and the LC-21 both come up on Ebay often. There usually in good cosmetic condition since only serious audio lover owned them. They do require rebuilding. I personally think the Scott phono sections are hard to beat and these preamps have every RIAA curve you could ever use or not use LOL !!!

Craig

I probably sell the ST-70 fairly soon if your interested. Its rebuilt/modded to the max Curcio board and all.

Craig:

Are you planning on selling any integrated amps anytime soon? I'm rethinking what I'm doing with my living room set up, and might want to try my RF-3's, or maybe a pair of Chorus's that are for sale near me, with tubes, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Besides, you're only about an hour drive from me so I might be able to avoid shipping BS.