MCM 1900 Industrial Speakers / tweeters / subwoofers??

woolygums

I have a set of MCM 1900 with

4 MWM-S Split Cabs

2 MSSM Low Mids

2 MSM Fiberglass Horns

2 MTM Tweeters

2 M Network Crossovers

Aluminum trim and fiberglas exteriors

The tweeters have no output though when I check with a 1.5v battery at the tweeter terminals there is a sound. I hope that this is an accepted procedure. I have checked the fuses and everything seems ok. What would be my next step to get the tweeters going?

Two of the MSM-S have badly water damaged speakers, but the cabinets are still good. I was wondering if there might be some way that I could install a new subwoofer speaker of some kind with an amp that could give me more bass thump?

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/21/2003 8:54:50 PM woolygums wrote:

I have a set of MCM 1900 with

4 MWM-S Split Cabs

2 MSSM Low Mids

2 MSM Fiberglass Horns

2 MTM Tweeters

2 M Network Crossovers

Aluminum trim and fiberglas exteriors

The tweeters have no output though when I check with a 1.5v battery at the tweeter terminals there is a sound. I hope that this is an accepted procedure. I have checked the fuses and everything seems ok. What would be my next step to get the tweeters going?

Two of the MSM-S have badly water damaged speakers, but the cabinets are still good. I was wondering if there might be some way that I could install a new subwoofer speaker of some kind with an amp that could give me more bass thump?

----------------

Hi,

Open up the MTM's and you'll find the Xover network . If yours are like mine the air choke (wire coil without the metal center) shorted out and is preventing the current from reaching the piezo tweeters. If you cut one end of this coil loose and the tweeters come on then you should replace the coil. I am trying to obtain info on this coil in the commercial forum on this bb.If you still have no sound then the piezos themselves might be damaged.

I have the xover network too but have never used it with the system. Mine is Quad amped with a active crossover (I have 2 MWM duals and 4 MWM splits as well as the MSSMs, MSMs and MTMs). A replacement woofer is available through Klipsch. K 43E if I remember correctly. You could also experiment with Peavey Black widow. When I bought the first part of this system There were only 3 MWM splits so I copied the enclosure and bought a woofer for it. Adding the MWM duals - now there is bass for days.I actually wind up having to roll some of the bass out. I would suggest using an active crossover and dedicated amps. I have mine crossed at Low to 100 hz for the MWM duals, Low to 250hz for the MWM splits, 250hz to 600hz for the MSSMs and 600HZ to the top end for the MSM and MTM. The MTMs can be wired in parallel with the MSMs. If you don't want to use all these amps you could use a two way active crossover with 2 amplifier channels per side. You might find an amp with a crossover built in such as Mackie or a PV 2000 or CS- 800/1200 H. Anyway, connect the active crossover to the two amplifier channels and cross them over at 100 hz but in any event no higher than 250hz. The less low mids that the MWMs have to reproduce the better and tighter the bass will be. Also this will reduce unwanted resonances which can muddy the sound. The low side amplifier output connects directly to the MWMs and the high side amplifier to the type M balancing network and then out to MSSM, MSM and MTM. You can use a fairly powerful amp for the MWMs. However they are very efficient and do not require that much power. In parallel they present a 4 ohm load to the amp. I'm using a Yorkville 1200 watt amp for each pair of MWM woofers.It never breaks a sweat during most shows but the mid and high amps get a little warm.

Hope that helps.

Chris

----------------

On 5/13/2003 8:51:27 PM j-malotky wrote:

All I can say is HOLY CRAP.

Some speakers you guys have!!!!!

JM

----------------

NICE HT setup.I know the Khorns sound great with Macintosh. Did you build that center channel setup or modify the cabinets? I'm thinking of putting one together eventually with La Scalas. I've got two older pairs + one bottom section of a commercial La Scala. Looking out for the top. Right now I'm just using a sony receiver with an SEA (Southeastern Acoustics) 5.1 setup (5 two way satellites) and a 10" sub/yamaha power amp).Sony 1800 lumen projector. The alarm clock is a little cooler though: (2) heresys and (2)heresy IIs with a Marantz vintage 185 wpc receiver1.gif

Chris

I built the center. I had pics on here before the software upgrade, they are gone now. Digital camera is broke, so will be a while before I retake any.

I got most of the parts off Ebay, hardest component to find was the K400, bought that off a fellow member here.

When I ordered my ALK networks, I had Al build me a matching set of three to use accross the front of my system.

The speaker over my screen has the K77, K400 and ALK network inside. It is built out of 3/4 plywood and is angled downward to the seating location. Very easy to build.

Under the screen are two Heresy cabinets with only the K22 woofers inside. The other holes are sealed. Bought them from an Ebay speaker chopper. I was going to build my own cabinet, but when I found the Walnut Heresy cabinets for $30, I could not pass them up since wood alone was going to cost me that.

JM