Audigy 2/PM 4.1 I have bad pops and crackles etc.

mbeu

Using the 4.1's with a Creative Labs Audigy card I was getting very bad pops and crackles while testing the speakers in the speaker setup software. Also while playing my own ripped mp3's or during the start of a DVD I get these pops and crackles. When Windows XP starts up I have very very bad pops. This problem is apparent in just about anything I do. I switched to a Audigy 2 card thinking I had a bad sound card but I get the same darn pops and crackles. I have checked all my connections and fairly sure the speakers are hooked up right into the back of the Audgy 2 sound card but still get the noise problem. I am using the wires that came with the PM 4.1 and I did at one time cut the wires on the rear speakers to shorten them and did not resolder the ends. I need some help here...... do I resolder these ends and get this Y adapter or just what do I do to get these pops/cracks removed? Where exactly do you plug the green and purple conections at into this 6.1 sound card? I mainly listen to mp3's and occasional gamer. Thanks for your help!

Well this newbie is getting some help here. I do indeed have the v.2-400. I checked on the back of the subwoofer. I installed a y-adapter to the number one output on the Audigy 2 card. Then I changed the speaker setting to 2/2.1. This seems to have cut down on some of the cracking but not all, When I play a mp3 at the very first part of the song it makes the noise and then stops. It does this on all mp3's. If I reclick and start the song over it does not make the noise. This has got me baffled! I have soldered the ends where I cut the speaker wires to make it shorter. I really don't know exactly when the cracking and noise started. It may have started after Ii cut the wires but I don't know for sure. I guess my next step is to change out the speaker wires unless someone with more experience with these speakers can help me further. I still have the noise when I exit and enter Windows Xp. Thanks again for any more help on this!

i'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to wiring and electronics, but seeing as that changing the configuration on your computer reduced the crackling a little i would guess that it's a software problem. do you have a portable cdplayer with a 1/8 jack on it? connect your front speaker cable to it and play some music. do you still get crackling?

Do you have a Pentium 4 with hyper-threading on? I heard that this can interfere with the Audigy2 soundcard and make the sound "pop" as you described. I don't know if this is true as I heard it from a friend who has experienced the same problem and researched it.

I have the same problem and my subwofer is being fixed as we speak.

My problem was with the "surround" feature of my 4.1s. Anytime the "surround" knob was turned up (2.0 with Y adapter, 2.1 with Y adapter, 4.1 mode), there was a crackle/static sound exactly how you described. I temporarily ended up solving this problem by getting a 1/8" Y adapter and plugging in the purple and green plugs into the Y and then into the front speaker jack of my soundcard resulting in stereo output from all 4 speakers using 2.1 mode. No static as long as the "surround" knob was at zero.

I finally decided to RMA them so hopefully everything will be fixed and I'll be able to use 4.1 in it's full glory.

P.S. Sorry if my post is confusing

2.gif

After I format my computer and reinstall my Window XP, my Sound Blaster Live Value start to make popping sound once a while. Well I use XP before and I have no problem what so ever. Popping sound started after I reinstall my XP, in the middle of installation, my fingers somehow touch the mini plug of 4.1 (mini plug that plug into soundcard). It made a strange and loud noise for 1 secs. Anyhow, I guess there is some problem with my soundblaster driver. However, do you think it is more a driver problem instead of the preamp?

And how can I check if this is my preamp or driver problem?

I did the Y-cable thing but still got the static. I turned the surround all the way down and still got the static. I turned the subwoofer all the way down and the static went away. What would be wrong with the subwoofer? Would it be in the cables or something inside the subwoofer itself that I could fix? Thanks for your post/help!