Cabinet question, for my cornwalls?

Jim Cornell

First off, im now nervous about them stacked, will it hurt the bottom pair over time? I have 2 pair stacked, on one another!!

The wifes idea!

Glad i had a few beers, doing it, thats a high lift!

Second question is, the one pair i have here are CBLS, cornwall birch, laquer stain!

Did they put a birch laminate, over a birch plywood ?

These are laminated!!

Regards Jim

Jim,

I don't think stacking them will be harmful, unless you get hit by a tornado or an earthquake, in which case it probably wouldn't make much difference either unless you were laying on the floor by them.

I can't help you on the other question, but I've got a ? 4 U; Do you have the top pair inverted, with the woofer on top? If you don't, you might try it. That seems to be a layout favored by some notable high-end speaker makers, such as Dunlavy and Montana, among others. If you try it, let me know how the sound compares, OK? Just curious. Oh, and as far as looks go, if you like the sound better with the top speaker "upside down", you could probably remove the riser base and place it in between the speakers, maybe with some type of gasketing material between it and the speakers.

Cornwalls were made of multi-laminate ply wood. Typical material is Baltic Birch. Very expensive but very durable. Still used in many pro speakers which will be subject to lots of abuse while moving from job to job. The outermost layer is pretty to the eye and takes finishing nicely.

When stacking speakers, it is good to remember problems of interference between drivers. When more than one driver is used to produce a given range of frequencies - such as is the case with two tweeters, two mids etc. - those drivers will interfere with each other unless kept about 1/4 wavelength apart. This is not much of a problem for multiple woofers. A 20 Hz wave is 56' long! On the other hand, a 20,000 Hz wave is .056' long and your tweeters are futher apart than 1/4 of that. Thus, they will interfere with each other, as will the mids. Think about dropping two rocks into a pond at once; the wave fronts crash into each other. Some add, some cancel, others in between those extremes. What results is not much like the single set of ripples from just one rock. Same with the output from your multiple mids and tweets. The sonic result is called comb filtering and if you could see it on a frequency response chart, the result is large amplitude swings. You may be able to hear this by moving your head up and down just a couple of inches while you listen. Pink noise or noise between FM stations is a good test signal. (turn off the FM muting and tune away from any station till you get clean white noise). You should be able to hear changes in the sound.

Now, the only real benefit to stacked speakers or speakers used in multiples whether stacked or not is to raise output, dynanamics, power handling etc. With very dynamic speakers to begin with, the benefits may not outweigh the problems.

When you stack tweeter to tweeter vs. tweeter to woofer, you change the interference pattern and the resulting frequency response errors. Fiddle till you get what sounds best to you, cause that's the only thing that really matters.

If those of you who don't have stacked speakers want to hear what interference sounds like do this experiment - it's easy with a small bookshelf speaker. While you sit at your listening position, have a friend hold one speaker which you have conneted to your amp with a long wire. Play pink noise or FM interstation white noise. Now, have the friend move the single playing speaker nearer and further from a side, reflective wall. The wall will make a mirror image of the speaker, just as if you had two speakers playing. The sound from the 'real' and 'mirror image' (virtual) speakers will interfere with each other, causing big comb filtered sonic changes. You'll hear phasey changes as the speaker is moved nearer and further from the wall. cool huh?

In pro reinforcement, where multiple speakers are used in an array of several identical units to cover the entire listening area, it is critical to minimize overlap of coverage between the many arrayed speakers in order to minimize interference. This is another benefit of horns, properly designed, they can precisely control where the sound goes (and does NOT go) to minimize overlap interference. In well done performance venues, the arrays are usually set so that any overlap happens in the aisles and no listening seats get bad sound. even cooler eh?

Bob G:

Thank you for the reply. I did realize some interference will accur!

One set of cornwalls alone should be 12 feet apart, and set into a 480 square foot room!

I bought the second pair, just to have them!

I also knew i would run into placement problems down the road, beings this place is to small for just 1 pair!!

I have a 120 watt per channel Mcintosh amp on the stacked pair, and a pioneer SX 950 on the other, at the same time!

I crossed the main in pre outs inside the reciever to be able to do this!

So i can turn the stacked pair down enough just to add a little sound to the system!

Most of the time i just use the 1 pair!

I also have a spare K33E woofer, and a set of K77M tweeters that need new diaphrams!

I could build a center channel, providing one crossover, and have a H/T with all this!

My wife wants me to get 2 more pair!!!!!!!

Then ill see how much i can get radio city mucic hall for!!

Also, i could sell both pair and buy Khorns!

Or buy Khorns first then sell, based on how happy id be with them!

If i keep this home, when the kids grow up, ill rip out the first bathroom, and bedroom to extend the living room 40 feet!

Crazy huh!!!

Anything over the heresy, is to large for a moble, or modular home!

I think Khorns would be to loud in here!

And 1 pair of cornwalls isnt, RIGHT!!!

I bought both pair, to have a long lasting speaker system, that will last me for many years!

Now i dont have to buy anymore!!

Only way i would now, is Khorns if i can find a good deal, to expirement with them!

But like i said, this place is to small for either set af speakers!!

Cornwalls or Khorns!

I love overkill, i guess! I had 2 pair of KG 5.5s before these, and 1 pair of cornwalls alone was 4 of them!!

Couldnt even hear them!

I do relalize the pink and white noise with them stacked like this!

When i had the other pair across the room, they had no bass!!

The front pair drowned them out, so they do sound better together on one wall!

Even stacked!!

Regards Jim

Jim it sounds as if you are having a bunch of fun with your Cornwalls and that is really the only thing that matters. Please take all of my suggestions as mere guidelines and Never let anything stop the party!

• 3 weeks later...

Bob G.

I now have them side by side, and were moving into a bigger place soon!

I was going to trade a pair for cash and Heresys but couldnt do it!

its a once in a lifetime situation to have 2 pair of cornwalls, and also its an honor!

I love all 4 cornwalls, and ill more than likely never give these up!

Besides when its time for me to go, i can be burried in one, and leave my wife a pair, and one for center channel!! Gotta admit thats funny HA HA

I want to paint "LIVE THE LEGEND" "KLIPSCH" on the sides of my van, how much for the stencils!!

Regards Jim