center channel Heresies

bassetized

i guess i'll figure out the center channel situation when it comes time. i am going to be using Heresies as surrounds...how high up and what position is the best comprimise between HT and multi channel audio?

right now, i guess i'll put them in the corners about 5' up at a 45 deg angle to the back wall.(pointed at the center of the room)

or maybe about the same height as the center channel.

i don't know at the moment.

thanks,

chels

I built my rear stands 4' high so it would match the center channel. About 2 months after that, the Inteq 52" blew out, & I replaced it with a 61". So now the center is about 1' higher that the rears, & of course the belle's are normal height (low).

During normal, mono type TV shows, the center seems way too high. This is why some people put one speaker below & one above the screen. However, during any surround-active shows, the whole room becomes very alive, so I can't tell the positions any more.

I do not use my surrounds for multichannel music, so I dont know how this would work.

Look at the settings on your Onkyo - you may be able to change the mode and make standard program audio distribute around the system in a simulated surround mode. My Denon does this and it sounds better. I have experienced this same condition and playing with the audio modes will give you some relief.

----------------

On 5/1/2003 7:30:41 PM bassetized wrote:

i guess i'll figure out the center channel situation when it comes time. i am going to be using Heresies as surrounds...how high up and what position is the best comprimise between HT and multi channel audio?

right now, i guess i'll put them in the corners about 5' up at a 45 deg angle to the back wall.(pointed at the center of the room)

or maybe about the same height as the center channel.

i don't know at the moment.

thanks,

chels
----------------

Chels -

Two items first I forgot to mention that my Heresy is mounted upside down also (horns by the TV, woofer on top). The other is my surrounds. I have them mounted at ear level directly in line with the seating. Look at my web site for photos. I find that it gives me great 5 channel music and surround sound.

Laters,

----------------

On 5/2/2003 8:42:03 AM brother wrote:

Look at the settings on your Onkyo - you may be able to change the mode and make standard program audio distribute around the system in a simulated surround mode. My Denon does this and it sounds better. I have experienced this same condition and playing with the audio modes will give you some relief.

----------------

My Onkyo has a setting for 5 channel stereo, which I play with often. It is very interesting.... it really fills the room with music, especially since I built the center channel Heresy. But I can also still tell the difference between the direct path, & a digitaly manipulated one. I still prefer the direct path for music.

Its kind of the same thing as when I use my computer for MP3 playback. I have all of my music stored on my server, & use the computer as a jukebox. It feeds my playlist of over 1000 songs all over the house, & I use it almost constantly. However, if I sit down in front of the Belle's, I can't listen to it. The sound quality is just not there, & my ears start screaming at me!

I think the processed sound is noticeable as well. Again, I am not familiar with the Onkyo, but the 3803 has what they call a "pure direct" mode that bypasses all the processors and sends the input directly to the amplifiers in 2 channel stereo mode. This is my standard music listening position, but could be used for monophonic audio or standard TV listening. That doesn't keep the center going though. You might also check into boosting or limiting the various channels and saving that configuration as a mode.

This may be a case where HT killed the audio "star".14.gif

I always use the direct mode for music. I have compared this to plugging the Cd player directly into the amp using the variable outputs on the CD player. I can not tell the difference, so I know that the Onkyo has very good direct switching.

I may claim to have a full Heritage theater, but the Heresy's do not keep up with the Belle's for music.