Odd Sub Behavior

Cabbage

Kinda weird thing is happening tonight with my sub.....Im listening to music or whatever and whenever I turn up the volume on the speaker above half the sub will start to reverberate louder and louder and louder until its like insanely deep and loud. It happens in like 3 seconds till I have to turn the volume down to make it go way. It's almost like interference or something. Really weird. Anyone else ever have this happen?

It only happens when I turn up the speaker volume, not when I turn up the volume in windows via the volume controls or winamp. Its like when it gets above a certain level, the sub begins to vibrate a deep bass out of control louder and louder until I have to turn it down.....is my sub broken somehow?

This sounds like feedback.

Do you have a microphone hooked up? If so, does the problem exist when the mic. level is set to "min"?

It could also be something vibrating in or near the sound card leading to an electrical feedback.

Does this still happen when all your controls are set to flat?

When I turn the volume all the way down on the sub, I can turn up the volume on the speaker without a problem. The higher the sub volume, the more pronounced the problem at lower volume settings. I will mute the mic and see if that helps. It does sound like feedback, but I'm not sure where it would be coming from, and wouldn't I be getting feedback at all volume levels? Thanx for your help.

I've seen one example where the subwoofer caused rattling of a PC card enough that a capacitor value changed with the program material; leading to the feedback. This is called circuit "microphonics". This would likely only occur if the sub and the PC were right next to each other on a wood floor.

Another possibility is there is something like this going on in the sub itself. This would require Klipsch Customer Service to take a look and resolve.

-djf