Diaphragm Damage?

I`ve got a little issue to resolve and need some help. When I played a piano piece on the Cornwalls the other night, I could hear distortion in one of the tweeters. The only way to hear it is during quiet passages. It was that fuzzy sounding distortion you get when you have a lot of dust on your needle. But this was a CD. I reversed the signal and the distortion stayed with the same speaker. My next step is to change speaker wire encase it`s the culprit. But here`s my question. Can a diaphragm be damaged but still work? The speaker still has good high end, it`s just a little distortion I pick out when one instrument is playing solo, softly. By the way, this speaker is all original, the back has never been taken off. An `85 Cornwall. So what do you think?

----------------

On 4/29/2003 12:03:53 PM John Albright wrote:

Yes. A diaphragm can be damaged and rub the magnet gap but still work. I have a spare K-55-V still doing that.

----------------

Interesting. You mean your scenario is like mine, you can only hear it during soft passages? So after investigating the speaker wire, I should go in the direction of the diaphragm. That is what I thought all along. Looks simple enough to fix. There is a link in the archives that shows how to replace it.