CD player recommendation

wireless

I set up my 2-channel system last night. I had tried to use a 5.1 system for music with klf-20's, a c-7, forte surrounds and an lf-10. It was okay but I decided to go with something less imposing and needed shielded speakers there. I was planning on selling everthing but I couldn't part with my beloved Fortes.

I had a Yamaha c-60 and m-80 preamp and amp in storage and decided to pull them out, move the forte's upstairs and get a 2-channel system going. I also have a t-85 tuner and what was at the time a nice technics cd player - 18 bit woo-hoo!

My old speaker wire was corroding but I went ahead and set everything up and it sounds pretty good. I need new wire and a new CD player. The technics skips sometimes and I believe new players should be better with regard to sound quality. I saw a 24 bit in best buy a few days ago.

What is the difference these days between CD (DVD) players? I'm thinking about buying something like a Toshiba 2900. I've had good luck with Toshiba and in case I ever do use it for dvd, it has the zoom for making the widescreen format visible on a small tv.

My main concern is 2-channel analog output. This is the highest priority. Do all new DVD players output the analog CD signal fairly equally? What are your opinions on this? I don't believe that paying $500 for a CD player is necessary but down at the low end $80 to $150 I think there are probably some corners cut. On the other hand the way electronics has become, maybe a D/A decoder chip is just a comodity and doesn't really vary from player to player. What are your opinions on this?

-David