rf3-IIs

wireless

I'm thinking about purchasing an rf3-based system to replace my unshielded klf-20 based system.

I've read of some problems with the "floating" grills. Is it really a problem? The rf-35 is supposed to fix this problem but I noticed the dimensions on the new rc-35 center channel box are a bit larger and would not fit in my proposed setup.

Secondly the specs on the rs-35 surround do not compare favorably with the rs-3II's. They lose 20 hz on the low end. I can't help but think, while surrounds aren't full range speakers by any means, that they need to go lower than the rs-35 rated 81 Hz.

Any other comments on the rf-3IIs? I might get the rf-5's but since I've set up a 2-channel forte system for music, that aspect isn't as important as it was. Unless there's a significant difference (and specwise there is not) between the 3's and 5's, I'll probably get the 3's. The 3's are a lot cheaper for seemingly little difference in sound. The vinyl finish doesn't thrill me but the surrounds and center are too so it's not like the whole setup wouldn't be inconsistent.

BTW, anyone know why the new speakers' sensitivity is rated in volts/meter instead of the old watts/meter?

-David

----------------

On 4/30/2003 9:36:28 AM wireless wrote:

BTW, anyone know why the new speakers' sensitivity is rated in volts/meter instead of the old watts/meter?

-David
----------------

OOH, OOH, OOH - I know, I know --- The wattage going into a speaker fluctuates with the impedance of the speaker, and the impedance varies depending on the frequency being played. To eliminate that variable, they switched to volts/meter because the voltage can be more explicity controlled and stated. 2.83 volts is equivalent to 1 watt at 8 ohms impedance...

...I think.

(Do I get a star, Mr. Albright?)

DD

Wireless, for viewing movies and music in DD/DPLII/Neo/DSP modes you do not need full range surrounds, and in most cases people set them as small anyway.

However if you think of upgrading to SACD and DVD-A then you would definitely need full range surrounds/rear channels. Keep the future upgrades in mind while planning the system.

The RF3II are very good speakers. The 5 have a better horn in them and they sound a little more open. Like what was said before, if you plan on listening to multichannel music you will want differnt rears. Don't get me wrong the package is great but full range floor standings to much better job for the music. It also cost more. I have the rf3II and I love them, I do want to upgrade to the 7 to get the better bass. For ht you need a good sub also. If you get a good sub and don't plan on listening to a lot of multichannel music then your rears don't need to go down lower then 80hz because your sub will pick up everything under that. Also under 80hz is suppose to be nondirectional. which means you can't tell where it is coming from. It is realy up to how much money you want to spend and what your ear likes. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Just my opinion, even though the RF-3II's are great speakers(I own a pair), I think it would be a downgrade coming from KLF-20's. Also if you have the KLF-C7 center, going to the RC-3II(own it also) would be a bit of a disappointment as well. The RC-7 is more in the league of the KLF-C7 but I don't think it would match well with RF-3II.

Yes, I agree they may be somewhat of a downgrade from KLF-20s but I've got to do something to get the den looking better and big speakers all around just don't cut it.

I got my 2-channel system set up with Forte's in another room so that will do quite nicely for music. I'm not interested in 5 channel for music right now.

I went by an audio shop a couple of days ago and listened to the rf-3's. Actually I thought they sounded pretty good. As far as musical clairity, I thought they were better than the KLF-20s. As if oft-repeated, they didn't sound quite as open but overall very good.

On the downside I thought the rs-3's looked very cheap which is the same thing I thought when I received the 20's and compared them to the Forte's and Hereseys I also owned. It seems like Klipsch is becoming the GM of speakers sometimes they way they keep cheaping down the exteriors.

The dealer just got in the new RF-35's and rf-25's which are supposed to have improved looks. The Klipsch rep said the 25's sound better than the rf-3's and the woofer is smaller. I told him to work up a quote on the 25's. I think they might just be what I need. Overall smaller but still a quality sound. I'll let my LF-10 pick up the base below the 46Hz rating of the rf25's.

-David

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/30/2003 11:22:25 AM dougdrake wrote:

----------------

On 4/30/2003 9:36:28 AM wireless wrote:

-David

----------------

OOH, OOH, OOH - I know, I know --- The wattage going into a speaker fluctuates with the impedance of the speaker, and the impedance varies depending on the frequency being played. To eliminate that variable, they switched to volts/meter because the voltage can be more explicity controlled and stated. 2.83 volts is equivalent to 1 watt at 8 ohms impedance...

DD

----------------

So does that mean when power is calculated for a 4 ohm speaker (or an 8 ohm speaker whose impedance varies down to 4 ohms) with 2.83 volts, that the input wattage is 2 watts?

Thus, by using this new method, Klipsch is able to get 3 dB more input at 4 ohms and hence is able to effectively double the sensitivity by simply changing the measuring technique?