Surrond Speaker Change

Razer

Hi Everyone,

Quick question awhile back I bought a whole set of Reference series speakers the only thing I didn't get was the surround speakers cause I was going to hang them on the walls. So I bought the SS-1's instead. Well I'm not going to hang the speakers on the wall anymore and it's way too late to take them back to the store so I'm wondering would it make that much of a difference if I get the RS-3's? The local store here is having a sale and I can get them for a really good price. Will I notice that much of a sound change if I upgrade to the RS-3's from the SS-1's? Thanks

From what I've heard the RS-3's are a more full range speaker.

I have mine with the rest of the Reference series and I love them. Was the size what made you not want to hang them, because I have mine mounted on the wall and have not had any trouble with them.

Razer - Since the store is local, if I were you I'd buy the RS-3's and give 'em a listen next to the SS-1s and hear for myself if they are worth buying. Unless your store is having a liquidation sale or scratch and dent sale, they should let you return the RS-3s if you don't hear a big difference. Check with them first, of course smile.gif

Doug

Razer:

I did the same thing you did. I bought the SS-1 surrounds with the Reference fronts because of the sheer size of the RS-3's. I have consulted this board, and many other audio enthusiasts about ugrading. In light of the feedback I have received, I am upgrading to the RS-3's this weekend as a matter of fact. If you want to wait a few days before you upgrade, I'll let you know how much better they are, and if it's worth it. The RS-3's are supposedly a much better full range speaker. They can handle more bass, and they have a much better tweeter for higher frequency response.

OK Razer, I got the RS-3's. I couldn't wait until Saturday.

Overall, I immediately noticed a difference in the clarity of both the drivers, and the horns. I then set up the RS-3's as "B" speakers so that I could hear them alone. Highs and midrange were so clear, and the bass was so tight, that I would almost recommend these speakers for mains on a 2 channel system. What a difference from the SS-1's. I set up the SS-1's the same way on the "B" speaker outputs before I boxed them up and brought them back to the store. The midrange was clear, but the highs and bass were not as pronounced as on the RS-3's.

In a nutshell, I believe the RS-3's are better speakers. For the extra $100.00, I would go with them over the SS-1's. I wish I went with them in the first place!