Did my subwoofer kill my reciever?!? What the hell ...

I'm cursed, that's what it is. I should just give up all my home electronic equipment and go live in a cave.

I finally got my KSW 12 subwoofer hooked up to my fledgling home theater system. It seemed to be working okay, and then last night when my girlfriend went to turn the reciever off something weird happened--almost like feedback from the woofer, but I'm not sure if that's what it was. It actually made our whole house shake. Turning the volume down on the reciever had no effect, only turning the woofer off stopped it. I tried turning it on again, and it started building up to earthquake level again. I unplugged everything and rechecked all the connections and when I plugged it back in it seemed back to normal. I think I tested everything on a DVD movie and it seemed to check out okay.

Then today I notice I'm not getting sound out of the left channel. I try EVERYTHING--removing the woofer, switching speakers, changing the wire, etc--and nothing works. The left channel on my reciever appears to be dead. It doesn't even work through the headphone jack. I switch from speaker set A to speaker set B, and now I can get sound through both channels when I use my VCR(!) but nothing from the DVD player or the TV, which I guess just means they won't work with speaker set B.

What happened? Since nothing feeds from my woofer back to my reciever, I'm inclined to believe it is not my new woofer's fault, but who's fault is it? Could a power spike have done this? ANY advice is appreciated!

it sounds to me like your source connection may be bad from your dvd player. are you using a digital connection? or are you using a patchcord (analog)? also, if your connection or patch to the sub isn't good (you said you adjusted the connection to the sub and it was ok)you will get a pretty loud and low freq. hum.(like if you touch your finger on the end of the rca connection

that normally goes into the sub out on the receiver. hope this helps! avman

also, try using the tuner as your source (if you have a receiver, not separates)you may also have ground loop noise, i've heard that type of hum when you have a bad analog patch to your receiver/or preamp. one other thing to try is if you have a grounded (three prong)plug for power on your sub, get a three to two prong adapter and 'lift' the ground from your sub. if that works, be aware that i've been 'bitten' by the metal plate that is on the back (amp area)of a sub w/ lifted ground, so proceed w/ caution. it wasn't too strong a shock, but i thought you should know.

avman--you saved me!!!!

I went back and checked the optical digital out connection from my DVD player and the mini-earthquake from the sub must have shook it loose, because when I re-inserted it--PROBLEM SOLVED!

Man, I appreciate your advice. I was thinking I had to get a whole new reciever!

I think I might have a bad Y-shaped dual RCA plug from the mono-woofer output on my reciever to the dual right and left LEF inputs on my woofer ... which might have caused the quake to begin with.

Thanks again!

belial,

I know the horrible sound your talking about. I had it happen to me. After reading my receiver manual several times, I found that the subwoofer can conflict with the receiver is to close. My suggestion is to move the subwoofer to the other end of the room. It seemed to work for me. The Y connector doesn't have anything to do with it/

Avman- I know what belial is talking about. The sound nothing like a hum. It is a fantastic room shaking RUMBLE! If you don't turn the sub off first it will happen every time.

i'm glad i could help, but i've got some concerns. a loose line level (rca) connection i still think may have caused the hum, (or rumble),i haven't experienced what bensilb described, and i have installed alot of subwoofers, but i've seen alot of stranger things happen.--IMPORTANT!--i don't believe that you have two 'lfe' inputs. i think one is 'line' in,and the white connection should be 'lfe' in. just hook up ONE output to the one input marked 'lfe'on your sub-if you have a dd/dts surround receiver, otherwise hookup your sub out to the 'line' input on your sub. avman

bensilb--you know the woofer sound I mean! It was so strong it made the windows in my kitchen rattle from thirty feet away ...

avman, I think you're right--I only needed a mono RCA jack from the woofer out to the L/LFE jack. I wonder if that has been causing me any problems?

Thanks for both of your responses!