Is Matching a Reference Center with Synergy Towers a Bad Idea?

belial

Here's the deal. I have an SC-1 center, and it just doesn't sound good to me. I've heard many say that the RC-3 center is vastly superior, so I thought I'd upgrade with that. But will it class too much with the sound from my SF-2s? I can't buy the RC-3 locally, so I have to order it online, which means I can't listen to it before hand, unfortunately.

Since the bass will be sent to my woofer, I don't care about center bass as much as I do overall sound clarity. Will the RC-3 bring me more clarity?

All responses appreciated!

belial:

I purchased a set of RF-3's and a RC-3 with the SS-1 Synergy surrounds. I tried out the SF-2's in the store before I purchased my setup. To me, the Synergy series lacked the extreme highs and lows I was looking for. I found them to produce mostly midrange sound. I was lucky enough to hear the speakers side by side before I made a choice.

I ended up going with the Reference for the front soundstage due to the amazing full spectrum of sound. The SS-1's were fine for surrounds, but I have since upgraded to RS-3's for even more clarity. Everyone is on a budget, so you have to do what works best for you. I would advise you to get RF-3's for mains, and get the matching RC-3 center for your front soundstage. Use your SF-2's for surrounds or "B" speakers in another room.

If you want to try out the RC-3 with your SF-2's, and you are sure you cannot purchase it locally, make sure you go with a reputable online retailer that doesn't charge a re-stocking fee or an arm and a leg for shipping. This way, if you don't like the sound of the RC-3 with your SF-2's, you can return it. Good luck!

Thanks for your answer,jefnel1!

Judging from what you said, I think I'm going to go with the RC-3 center, since it sounds like it will have much better vocal clarity, and not just better bass, which I don't care about as much.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to upgrade to the RF-3's as you suggested. Believe it or not, I like the size and look of the SF-2 (which I haven't actually purchased yet) a lot more than the RF-3, which has a different grill and is a little bigger. But I think I'll go take another look based on your suggestion.

Thanks again!