Moving up to 6.1

jaycin

Hello, there. This is my first post.

I would appreciate a little advise. I have two corner klipschhorns since 1973 as the mains for a simple two speaker stereo system. Due to room size limitations these speakers must be behind me with the TV and stereo receiver in front. Now I am upgrading everything and just purchased an A/V receiver, a Yamaha htr-5590 with a 6.1 sound capability. The K-horns must remain as rear side speakers in the new setup.

So it is my understanding that I will be needing two front, a central front, a central rear and a subwoofer to make things work properly for 6.1 .

Could someone, or more than one, make a few suggestions as to what specific Klipsch speakers would best compliment my K-Horns for this 6.1 upgrade, and why? Details are needed here.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jaycin

Using Klipschorns as surrounds? IMO, I would do anything possible to make them mains. Rearrange the room, or move to another room. If you want a matched system, you're going to have to go with heritage all the way around. The problem here is that: 1) It will be very expensive, but more importantly, 2) It sounds like you have space limitations and as we all know heritage are rather large speakers.

I'm sure someone with a heritage based HT will chime in. They could probably help you better than I.

Jaycin, welcome to the forum. Diggs is right. Unless you are going to add 2 more klipschorns as your front speakers (which is overkill anyway), it would be a waste of your existing speakers. Look at some of the HT forum posts and see what other heritage HT setups use. You will find anyone with khorns as mains will most likely have other heritage speakers all the way around (subwoofer being the exception). You will have to have your khorns up front then you can use any other heritage speakers for surrounds and center. A lot of people like the lascala as the center and cornwalls or heresys as rears but you could use heresys all around if you wanted and it would sound great. Good luck with your rearrangement! Hope it's possible.

----------------

On 5/24/2003 9:19:15 PM jaycin wrote:

ould someone, or more than one, make a few suggestions as to what specific Klipsch speakers would best compliment my K-Horns for this 6.1 upgrade, and why? Details are needed here.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jaycin

----------------

As was already mentioned, I would first and for see if it is at all possible to get those K-horns your mains. To get speakers that will match up the best, you are going to need to get at least the Heresys. Preferalably a LaScala or Belle in the center. Unfortunatly, those are some pretty big speakers, so thus if space is a premium, it is going to be difficult to find something that will mate well with those K-horns.

Another option would be to keep the K-horns as part of a didicated 2-channel system in another room of the house and then see if you can get something like 3 pairs of Heresy's to make the "6" part of the 6.1 system. What do you plan on using for a subwoofer? As for a sub - it seems that many folks are having good results with SVS subwoofers to match with K-horns, especially since Klipsch themselves really don't have anything as far as subwoofers goes in the Heritage line.

Jaycin - Just to clarify a little, using heritage speakers for the remainder of your HT setup is the optimal choice. It's a blow-the-doors-off system. If you have space issues, the reference series can be used for the remainder of your speakers and it would still sound better than 99% of home theaters out there. They're much smaller also. I may catch slack for this comment but I have RS3s and an RC3 for my surrounds with cornwalls up front with an RSW12 subwoofer. My friends and family can't believe how incredible it sounds. It would just sound better with all heritage, that's all. But you HAVE to have your khorns up front. 1.gif