Paradigm Reference Servo-15

KAiN64

I would pick the Velodyne if money wasn't an issue, however the PB2 is a HUGE bang for buck in every area of subwoofing you can think off. I must say though, nobody can deny the depth the HGS-18 has...that thing just keeps digging and digging till your insides can't take it no more. At 30hz, it feels like a cannon going off in your stomach, at 15hz your body is vibrating like a 7 point earthquake.

----------------

On 6/1/2003 9:12:56 AM InnovaZero wrote:

I would pick the Velodyne if money wasn't an issue, however the PB2 is a HUGE bang for buck in every area of subwoofing you can think off. I must say though, nobody can deny the depth the HGS-18 has...that thing just keeps digging and digging till your insides can't take it no more. At 30hz, it feels like a cannon going off in your stomach, at 15hz your body is vibrating like a 7 point earthquake.

----------------

But the SVS PB2-Plus goes louder than the Velodyne HGS-18.

And the ServoDrive subs go still louder,way louder then SVS.

If loud is the most important factor take a look at ServoDrive these will trounce SVS and any home audio sub.Size for size ServoDrive hornm loaded subs are the most powerful subs you can get.Not microsubs buy large subs with helacious output and CLEAN output,cleaner then ANY classic sub.

Like I said if HT shake factor is on top of my list the B2-Plus,if all around music and HT I get the HGS18.

Just get a sub,you talk talk and talk.Now make a choice damit

If you own an oil well just get two the Velo and SVS. LOL

----------------

On 6/1/2003 11:50:18 AM InnovaZero wrote:

True in the 20hz area, but like I said...the Velodyne just keeps going and going and will do frequencies that the PB2 can't touch (10-15hz area) at over 100db, and heck at 30hz were talking 120db+ output.

----------------

As good as the Velodyne is, I highly doubt the HGS-18 can do 120dB+ at any frequency. Also down low in the 10-15hz area, it's capable of high output but over 100dB that low is unlikely.

They're both top notch subs, but in the PB-2's useable frequency range, I'd guestimate it could double or come close to doubling the HGS-18's output. All that for less than half the price of an HGS-18(what do can you get it for Kain?), I think the choice is easy. Also, what are the dimensions of the room it's going in? Does it have any openings?

You'd be quite surprised, the Velo is a monster at 30hz and I do mean a monster, and while yes it drops off pretty heavily (Being a sealed sub)..it is very linear down to the 10-15hz losing very little output, believe me it can still shake objects with some packful force at 14hz. It's one of the most linear subs I have heard, after the drop from 30hz, the thing is very flat to 12hz.

----------------

On 6/1/2003 2:14:27 PM InnovaZero wrote:

You'd be quite surprised, the Velo is a monster at 30hz and I do mean a monster, and while yes it drops off pretty heavily (Being a sealed sub)..it is very linear down to the 10-15hz losing very little output, believe me it can still shake objects with some packful force at 14hz. It's one of the most linear subs I have heard, after the drop from 30hz, the thing is very flat to 12hz.

----------------

Read this review.

Hi All, I am a member from a long time ago, and despite visiting the site often I do not usually post. But, I am driven to do so.

So, what is the answer to the question? The original question posted?

Shouldn't we answer the question instead of using it as an opportunity to brag about what we have? If I'd answer questions like that I would would fail in my career.

The Paradigm Servo 15 is a monster, and has been for many years. This sub has consistently been ranked one of the best by distinguished sources, including Stereophile...while many of the subs mentioned here...have not (dare I say, frightended of the Pro-SVS army that might hunt me down...).

Further more, this sub will EASILY be adequate for almost anybody's home theater AND music, unless they are wealthy...this is the point. Will 90% of the public here the difference between the Velodyne HGS18 and the Servo 15...what is the price difference...You can find a Servo 15 for 1000 on Audiogon or EBay...The Servo 15 is usually several hundred dollars less for 95 (or more) per cent of the performance of many other subs...is it more, dare I say, intelligent to spend the extra $$ on a bettwe monitor or amps, or front channels?

Anyway, why don't we all try to stay focused on the questions, and use our experience and opinions as a vehicle to answer those questions.

My time to brag:

front channels, Klipsch Forte IIs, Kg2.2V

rear channels, Klipsch Kg1

Sub, Paradigm PW2200

Sony S560D DVD

Adcom DD, DTS processor

NAD 2700 THX amp

Adcom 2535 amp

Sony 51"HD TV

Counterpoint preamp

Adcom CD player

• Like 1

"I highly doubt the HGS-18 can do 120dB+ at any frequency."

Close mike measurments it can top 120dB at 31.5Hz,a Sunfire Signature does 116dB at 31.5Hz.A Revel B15 does 124dB at 31.5Hz.Like it or not its a fact jack.

This is the mic placed 1 meter from the woofer's cone.At listening position and depending on room acoustics and room size this will drop a good deal.

On another note

WIth all my subs going I can peg the Rat Shack dB meter needle at the highest setting at 31.5Hz,with ease.Yes its multiple subs,so what how many can claim this 9.gif LOL

And is someone bests this I will just add a few SVS Ultra/B series subs.Simple

It seems more reasonable if you talk about close miking. For some reason I'm always assuming the listening position when people talk about SPL.

TheEar,

I plan on trying to max out my meter when I get done with my DIY subs. I plan on two LARGE vented AV-15 sonotubes w/750w to each plus another sub using two isobaric pairs of the original SVS CS drivers. Think I could do it in a 1500ft^3 room?

fabulousfrankie,

Dual AV15 in optimum size ported cabinets driven by a 2 * 750W RMS amp should have not much trouble giving you beyond reference level bass output,down to 20hz and close to reference at 16Hz!

The SVS woofers would be the icing on the cake.

9.gif

Always better to have a backup 2.gif

Two to three years from now I may very well have all my subs plus dual B4-Plus,two to four SS,an Eartquake 12 and 15",B&W ASW4000 and maybe another sub or two.The quest for monster bass is far from over.It will be over when at 1/3 of the ma oitput I will be able to shake the apartament building across the street. LOL

Oh yes I still need that RSW12 to complete my RSW collection.Almost forgot this tweeter

TheEAR,

I just found out that the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature is $1,907 here. I might be able to get some discount on that price.

Anyway, the Paradigm Reference Servo-15 and the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature are both available here, BUT, I CANNOT audition them so, once again, I'll need your advice.

For home theater, would you prefer a single Paradigm Reference Servo-15 or a single Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature?

For HT the Sunfire Signature is superior to the Servo-15.Compared them side by side both in store and at home,I own the Signature and had the Servo-15.

Get the Sunfire Signature

If you continue asking questions I will send Abrams tanks and force you to decide.If you fail Hind choppers will drop napalm to heat things up.

LOL

For HT the Sunfire Signature is superior to the Servo-15.Compared them side by side both in store and at home,I own the Signature and had the Servo-15.

Get the Sunfire Signature

If you continue asking questions I will send Abrams tanks and force you to decide.If you fail Hind choppers will drop napalm to heat things up.

LOL