KSW Sub Specs

bacevedo

I have a couple of questions on the KSW line of subs.

What is the difference between the BASH amp used in the KSW 15 vs the A/B amp in the KSW 12 and KSW 10? Is there that big of a difference between the two?

What does the SPL rating mean? I know what SPL is, and how it relates to regular speakers (i.e. 95 db 1w 1m), but what is 113 db 1/8 space mean? What is 1/8 space?

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. I own the KSW 12 - just wondering how different the 15 is.

Guest BobG

Bridged Analog Switching Hybrid amp design uses a switching type power supply with a class A/B output stage for the best of both worlds. Small, light and cool running but without the harsh character of most current all digital amps. Big Big peak power. We measure 1300 watts in bursts on the KSW-15 amp.

SPL tells you how loud the sub will go. Amp power and driver size don't tell that much because the amp and driver are permanently linked in powered subs. If you had 10,000 watts but real low sensitivity of the driver the sub might only play at 100 dB. On the other hand if you had 100 watts and incredible sensitivity, you might play louder. The specs that really tell you something on a powered sub are how loud it plays and how low it goes. There is more to it but those are the basics.

1/8 space is like putting your sub in a corner rather than on top of a 20' pole. Room walls contain and reflect the bass toward the listening position so the sub plays louder near walls than in empty space.

We spec subs at a nominal distance with the sub in a typical real-world position in order to give you the most useful rating we can. We feel every sub should be spec'd for SPL. Only way to tell if it is up to the challenge of your system installation.

Example, our new 12" reference sub will play 21 dB louder at 20 Hz than will the KSW-12. That is just over 4 times as loud!