Amp problem with 4-ohm speakers?

RickMo

Indeed, you don't have to worry about noise from low value resistors. Also, a 4 ohm Klipsch speaker's impedence NEVER drops anywhere near 1/2 ohm! Maybe some high-tech Martin Logan or Apogee but not Klipsch. I doubt it drops very near 2 ohms.

While the 2ohm resistor is not a horrible idea I submit that since the speakers are for surrounds and will have signficantly less signal than the mains or center your Yamaha can probably drive them. And if there was a problem the Yamaha probably has protection circuitry built in. I would just run them from the receiver. As long as you don't abuse them everything will probably be fine.

Thanks, all, for the valuable, and sometimes lively responses. I wasn't sure what to expect when I posted the question but as you can see there's been a plethora of input. I'll probably just hook 'em up (the 4-ohm Klipsches) and see what happens. I was concerned about potential problems, so I went seeking advice and at least wanted to have some sort of backup plan. I'll post again if I experience problems. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the answers.

If you're worried, I'd think that a 2 or 4 ohm 10 watt resistor from RS in series is not going to hurt anything too much. Technically, yes. Realistically, you'll have to listen for yourself. The autotransformer is a good alternative for the purist.

Certainly the noise angle is a red herring. I'll have to look up the equations. Also, I don't recall that carbon versus wirewound makes a difference in noise.

Some people worry about wirewound because they read they have an inductive component. That is correct. However it value is very small, and miniscule compared to the inductive components of the speaker and crossover.

There is something to be said about the added resistance altering the characterisics of the box system woofer. The classic design sequence using Theil-Small parameters assume the amp has a very low output impedance. This is true of SS amps and tube amps using feedback.

The amps low impedance means it can be ignored when considering the damping of the bass system. The voice coil resistance is all that is accounted for.

The result is that with a series resistor, the system will not be damped as much, electrically and there will be more floppy, resonant action. I am not well enough versed in T-S design to say exactly what the effect is as far as box size. However, it will be like having a woofer with a larger Qts. The electrical losses are greater.

There was an article about the adventures of "Chrome Dome" in SpeakerBuilder a long time ago. He was a young lad who hung out at the author's hi-fi shop. His father made him get a short haircut. Someplace in here the shop inserted a resistor and switch in a box woofer. With the resistor in, the bass became less controlled and sounded more powerful.

There is also reason to believe the predicted response of the crossovers and the horns will be altered.

However, a lot of the above theory may be overstated in actual results. Tell us what you hear.

Gil

After all that was said I thought I'd post a follow-up. If you'll remember, my Yammie wants to see a minimum of 6-ohms for each of the rear surrounds. I connected a pair of KG2s, which are 4-ohm speakers, and for the past two weeks have been running it through some tests. I've played numerous DVDs (LoTR, Pod Race, Harry Potter 2, U-571, etc.) as well as CDs (music especially heavy on the bass side) in 5-ch. stereo mode. I can't perceive any problems created for the Yammie. No sudden shut-offs, and it's running very cool to the touch in an enclosed cabinet (with an exhaust fan).

I appreciate all the suggestions and replies. Thanks. 3.gif