Fisher X-202 NOSValves

afvn72

My rebuilt Fisher X-202 came back from Craig a week ago. I put it in my main system, replacing an HF-81. The sound is wonderful through my Fortes. The Fisher has a lot more bass and punch than the Eico with almost as much resolution. LP's are really sweet with two Amperex Bugle Boys in the phono preamp. This is the third vintage amp I've had rebuilt. The Eico and a Fisher 400 receiver are the others. In each case what I thought was a good amp turned into a great amp with new parts. I encourage anyone with a stock 1950's or 60's tube amp to go for a rebuild, you have a treat in store. Thanks to Craig for the great work and for his patience with the electronically challenged.

Brett Cornwell

Brett,

Thanks for the kind words. We did have a funny set of events there 1.gif Could of happened to anyone. I really was impressed with the Fisher as you know at first look I thought it wasn't all that but when done these are impressive amps with tons of cool features.

Enjoy the music

Craig

Brett,

Try something for me with your Fisher. Drop the Bass with the tone controls and raise the treble maybe one notch each. I'm curious if your slight lack a resolution is because of the extra low end or presence as I like to call it. It might be a interesting test ! Of coarse it could just be that the Fisher just has more bells and whistles that get in the way of its transparency.

Craig

Craig,

I tried the experiment, one notch up on treble, one down on base. I did not notice much difference. Went two notches each way and it seemed to flatten out the mids and highs without adding anything, think I'll leave the tone controls on neutral, but thanks for the idea.

Brett

Brett,

I wasn't sure if it would do anything for the comparison or not. Just thought you may have been experiencing more presence with the Fisher then the HF-81 which may have been perceived as a lack of detail or transparency.

Craig

My only experience with Fisher units is with a FM100B tuner, which, compared to

the other tuners I have (Scott 310e), has fuller sound and more bass but it lacks

in detail. I am not sure if this can be generalized, but may be Fisher units are not

as detailed as some others, such as Eico and Scott.

Incidentally, I have been listening to Scott 299B for a while and I decided to A/B

it with the 299C tonight (B/C may be more appropriate in this case :) ). Last time

I listened to 299C I remeber that I liked it, but this time even though it had more

bass and punch, it lacked in detail compared to the 299B. I had to turn the treble

to +3 to get acceptable detail on 299C. Anyhow, I put back the 299B and I'll keep

it there.

Kudret,

Your findings with a 299B or A for that matter against a 299C is the same as mine. They have serious bass punch going for them at the expense of detail and transparency. I believe this is a simple matter of the 7591 output tube and the Split-load phase inverter. The reason I attribute some of this to the phase splitter circuit is I have found this same lack of detail or transparency in the 222C and LK-48's with the same phase splitter circuit which still use 7189's. It just is not as percise so the signal looses some detail in the process.

Craig