Denon/Klipsch KLF-30 Owners, Advice Please

BartW

Hello,

I know there are a lot of Denon owners

here. Please read this and tell me what

your experience is....Thanks

I have used a SPL meter to calibrate all speakers to 75db. I currently have 5 speakers and a SUB. I have Klipsch KLF-30 for L/R and SL/SR and a Klipsch KLF-C7 center. My settings for 75db center weighted, slow metering are -10db L/R, -11db SR/SL,-6db center and -12 db for the sub. These settings were calibrated from the listening position.

I have two concerns. I listen to a lot of music and enjoy the Pure Direct Mode. I

think I am going to set the Direct Mode settings back to 0db L/R, 0dbSL/R, Odb SUB (Turning the subs volume down some when listening to Pure Direct/Direct. Do you see a problem with this?

My second concern is more problematic and deals with the surround modes except 5/7 channel stereo. I only have a CD player attached to the AVR-5800 today. The surround

modes I have used are the ones for music like the DSP modes Rock Arena, Classic Rock Concert...The 5/7 works great. I get a balanced Volume at the listening position. It is the other modes that I have a Volume problem with and maybe I just don't understand how it is supposed to sound. Am I supposed to expect the same Volume with the DSP surround modes (from the surround speakers) that I am experiencing with the 5/7 Channel stereo mode or are the DSP surround modes only sending the surround speakers (EFFECTS) which have very little Volume output?

Here is the way my speakers are laid out today.

Front

__ __ __

L C R

SOFA

/ SUB

__ __

SL SR

Because of speaker placement, do you think this is why I am not satisfied with the

other surround modes? The effects coming out of the surround speakers are very faint and are not full range. Is this how it is supposed to be? I will be getting some

dipole speakers for the S(A) L/R (RS-7)soon and some full range speakers(RF-3) for the surround back. Are these DSP effects designed for dipole speakers aimed at the listening position from the side and slightly overhead?

Thanks for your comments,

Bart

I can't understand why no one has replied to this.

Were the questions to difficult? I got my answers.

Now, unlike the rest of you that knew these answers,I'm going to answer them if they come up again by someone else. I thought this bb was a good thing at one time. I now understand that only a few people with "no Life" get an intelligent some what quick response.

ROCK ON!!! And don't eat the yellow snow.

It's all good....Maybe I need some anger management

and a hug.

Don't even try it.

Hey BartW... just thought I'd offer you a cyber-hug Eyes.gif and add a little frustration and a touch of humor to your smashing self retort Smash.gif !!!

I have been watching your post as I also have four KLF 30's and a C-7 and I am strongly considering trading in my Yamaha RX V-3000 on a Denon 5800.

I must admit, though, that I did get a bunch of worthwhile posts on my query... and I am far from being a "No Life" on Planet Klipsch... but I come far too close on Planet Earth Smile.gif~

Perhaps the problem you are having with the surrounds is the universal problem that some program material is discrete full range sound and other material is the old technique of imbedding "auditory clues" which create an illusion in the listener's head. The dipole speakers will help for that. Personally, I have been pleasantly surprised with the surround KLF 30's as surround speakers... but I placed them facing each other on the sidewalls aimed just behind the prime listener's head and atop KSW-12's which add some HT punch. So far the KSP-S6's were the speaker of choice, but now we will have to wait for this summer's great unvailing.

The creation of effective "discrete/abiance" surrounds has been a pet frustration of mine for years. Debnon tried alleviate the problem with dual surrounds... but I think that the solution requires cooperation of source material creators, receiver/amp builders and speaker manufacturers who build in Hope.

Yet, if there is a special problem with the 5800 I sure would like to know.

Who knows, maybe you have gotten one of the infamous Denon lemons reported once in a Blue Moon? Hope you get some answers before you get "peequed" and start urging all the non-reply Denon/KLF-30 folks to eat some of that "lemonade" laden snow. HornEd

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-12-2001 at 12:58 AM

Hey Bart,

This BB *is* a good place. The most friendly one I've seen yet, so please lighten up! Smile.gif

Seriously, I know I would have gladly responded if I had seen your post. You happened to post during a transition time on the BB (the upgrade of the site) and I know that for several days I was unable to access the BB. I just plain never saw your post until now.

Sorry from us all,

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

I don't have the Denon combination, (what is a receiver?)

I do try to answer the posts that no one answered yet,

I think that you do have to dial back your settings (closer to flat) when listening to serious music (like audiophile CDs), (you will appreciate the capabilities of your system and the recording more)

I also wondered why the sub is at the back of the room, since most mid to upper bass is locatable, I found that putting the sub up front between the two speakers may not create the lowest bass response, but it does enlarge and improve the holographic image and the realism of the soundstage

I am sorry that you did not get an immediate reply, usually there are more superfluous ones than there are legitimate ones ..

I have a Denon 3300 and 30's but I failed to see your post until today.

You mention that you have your answer but I just wanted to add to it anyway. On my set up rather then using the SPL meter to set the outputs at 75 db, I set my mains and rears to match my center at o db. My rears are at plus 1 db and the mains are -2 and -3 and it rocks... As efficient as Klipsch Legends are you have to remove most of the power to get them down to 75 db each.Tipsy.gifSmash.gif

bartw, yea i didn't see this either until your 2nd post. they're musta been some problem maybe since they've been working on the sys.

anyway sounds like a dealer or someone helped u. as for your 1st ?, didu use the denon's test tones?

for the 2nd ?,

quote:

Am I supposed to expect the same Volume with the DSP surround modes (from the

surround speakers) that I am experiencing with the 5/7 Channel stereo mode or are the DSP

surround modes only sending the surround speakers (EFFECTS) which have very little Volume

output?

NO. that's what makes 'em different. they induce delay & possibly less than full range output for the surround "effects".

rock on.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver(stereo power amp for rf-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Thanks for all the replies. I wondered what kind of response I was going to get to this. I came home last

night and after a few to many domestic beers, looked to see if anyone had replied to my original post. I was

just frustrated and needed some help. I am sorry

my message was abrasive. I'll take a valium and

move on.

Thanks again for the replies.

Humbled,

Bart