Component Video Cable Question

I never know where to post some of these questions, so will post this one here. My new TV has component inputs as my old DVD has component output, though it is not progressive scan. Just to compare the component signal against s-video, could I use old plain-jane cables for component and get a reliable comparison? The user manuals for both these devices indicate the output levels and input levels to match (maybe this is industry standard, I don't know). The cable length needs to be about 6-8 ft., so before investing in a decent quality purpose-built component cable, just wanted some input or past experience.

Thanks,

Mark

By "plain jane," do you mean standard RCA interconnects (patch cords) like you would use to hook a tape deck to a receiver, for example? I don't think I'd use those to make a comparison.

I think I would go to Radio Shack and get their A/V dubbing/interconnect cable to test with. Their Gold series uses a video-type cable (coax shielded, 75ohm) on both the audio and video cables of the dubbing cable, and since it is 3 cables connected together it's just like buying something labeled "component video" but probably cheaper. If you don't see an improvement with component output over S-video, you can always return the cable to Radio Shack.

DD

There is a difference between audio patch cords and video patch cords. But the difference in bandwidth required for composite (4.2MHz), S-Video (4.2MHz), or Component video (6MHz) is very small. MHz is Mega or Million cycles per second

Good quality 75 Ohm cable that is used for Cable TV or Antennas costs 10 to 20 Cents a foot in bulk and is good to transmit signals that are in the 100s of MHz for hundreds of feet.

Therefore, a good quality component video cable (just 3 separate coax cables) plus connectors should cost less than $10. I laugh at video cables that sell for hundreds of dollars! I cry for people that actually buy them!

I just remembered that RS has redone their "Gold" series. Better read the package carefully if you go with my suggestion of getting their a/v dubbing cable for a component cable, and make sure that all 3 cables are the same - video type/shielded/75ohm. They may have changed the audio cables in the bundle to the standard type of audio cable...

DD