bass shakers and other questions

amonteiro

I just got some aura bass shaker yesterday and tried to install them, they work pretty good, actually better then i expected. The problem I am having is that they rattle against the nails used to nail them into the couch. I'm going to try and switch to using screws today and use some rubber to cussion their contact. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

1. how should I set this up in my reveiver. Right now I have my RF-3's set to large and the rc-3, rs-3 set to small(I think thats 60 hz and above). The Sub which is wired to an older receiver and then to the bass shakers is set to 60hz and below.

2. I also programmed my receivers univeral remote to turn everything on when I press one of the macro buttons. But my dvd player uses the same button for on and off so they can get out of sync. Is there anyway to stop this. Also I would rather use the on and off buttons instead of the macro button. I figured out how to do it with on but not with off button. If anyone has the HK 525 could you tell me how to do it.

Use screws and you'll have no problem with vibration.

What role does the receiver play in regards to the sub? I understand the receiver may be powering the bass shakers, but what about the sub? Is it powered or passive? Please detail the connection path from your surround receiver to the sub and bass shakers.

Also, if you are using your main receiver to do the bass management, and it sounds like you are, may I suggest setting the crossover on the sub as high as possible, so you are not getting any excess bass filtering (1st in your receiver, then again in the sub)? Or perhaps you mean some other crossover is set to "60hz and below."

Re the macro -- play with your DVD's remote to see if you can find a function button that will cause the unit to turn on, other than the power button. For example, my old Denon DVD player is like yours - has a power on/off toggle. However, if I press the "eject" button, it turns the unit on and opens the tray, so I use that as the "power on" function and use the normal "power off" to turn it off. That gives discrete power on/off control.

Doug

The HK525 is my receiver that I use for everything. All the sources are connected to it. The subwoofer out is connected to my old Sony receiver in the md/tape input left channel(since the sub out is mono). I don't have a sub and won't probably get one any time soon. The RF-3's are too much for my neighbours already. Thats why I wanted to use the bass shakers. The Bass shakers are connected to the left front speakers terminals on my old receiver(in serial). If I do get a sub I think it will be connected to the right speaker terminal allowing my left right balance to be a control on how much of the bass goes to the sub and how much goes to the shakers. On the HK525 I can set the crossover in hz not just to large or small. The highest being 200hz. So should I set it that that high and the rf-3's to large?

Thats an awesome idea with the eject button. Or I'll see if there is another button I can use for it.

Thanks for everything.

Definely use wood screws. I have 1 bass shaker under each of my Lazyboy recliners mounted on a piece of plywood that is then screwed to the bottom frame of the chair.

I am using the sub-out of my HK AVR120 to feed into a spare Denon intergrated amp. This allows me to control the bass shakers independently from the rest of the system, and to be able to turn them off completely when not required.

Anybody who has ever sat in those chairs during the rescue scene on the Matrix has been very impressed.

Enjoy!

The first issue I see is that you probably have said sub - yes in your HK setup so that you get output from the sub-out port on the back. However, you have NO sub to catch the .1/LFE that is routed to it by the bass management, unless you also have your mains indicated as full range with the lowest possible crossover setting, and even that may filter out some of the really low bass.

I would change the HK setup to Sub-NO and connect the receiver to the left/right front pre-amp outputs of the HK. Then, set the front channels to full range and you should get ALL the bass going to your main speakers and you'll also get it going to the bass shakers through the pre-amp output (assuming that the front speaker outputs are not cut off if you plug anything into the pre-amp outputs). You can use the tone controls on your receiver to minimize the treble going to the bass shakers, if necessary.

When you get a sub, it most likely will be a powered sub (unless you get a non-powered SVS or something like that). If so, you can put a y-adapter on the sub-out of the HK and split the bass signal to the sub and to the receiver powering the bass shakers.

Doug

Well the HK has a setting so that you can say Sub: LFE and L/R which I beleive is send the .1 to the sub and to the L/R channels. So I don't think it will matter that the bass shakers are connected as the sub.

I was also actually thinking of the SVS non powered sub. But that depends on if this receiver will be able to power it or not. If not then I'll get their powered version.

Well I went to Home depot on the way home yesterday and got the screws. I also got some rubber washers. Unfortunately when I got home I realised that the screws didn't fit. However I took out the nails and use the washers on them instead. It worked well. No rattling anymore.

Also the Sub and l/r actually means that the l/r channels bass would not only go to them but also to the sub. So I was wrong on how that worked.