Need help understanding Crossover settings...(novice)

jesterxxx

I have a Sony STR-DA4ES reciever where I can set the crossover settings for each individual speaker, for bass, mid and treble. The default settings for each channel is...

bass 250hz

mid 1khz

treble 2.5khz

The speakers I am using are...

Front KG-4.5

Center KV-3

Rears RS-3

Sub Boston PV800

I dont know what way to adjust the settings to improve sound. It sounds pretty good to me, but should I be looking at the specs of each speaker and adjusting accordingly? I don't know what the reprocussions are of moving the bass +/-...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

My understanding is that "crossover" will cause effects below a certain range to be sent only to the subwoofer instead of your main speakers. Most receivers have settings like "large" or "small" for each speaker and it will calculate the crossover frequency from that.

According to Klipsch, all Klipsch reference speakers can be set to "large" in those types of receivers. Some people use a general rule, like 80hz, for these settings. Play with the settings and see what sounds good.

Those aren't crossover settings those are tone controls. When you change it +/- you are boosting or cutting the amount of that frequency by "x"dB. Leaving them at 0 or detent is the best place to start and, in my opinion, is where they should stay if you don't really know what you're doing. Otherwise you can tweak them up or down to get the best sound. Just don't abuse them. As a rule of thumb, a few dB of adjustment could be warranted but if you set treble to +10 and bass to +10 you've just abused them and you're system probably doesn't sound all that good.