KG 3.5's or SB3's

JPahl

Besides one being floorstanding and the other is a bookshelf, how do these two compare ? They would be used as main speakers in an HT set-up (power sub will be used as well). Any input would be appreciated

We'll let the specs do some of the talking here, but the KG3.5 is probably going to give you more bass than the SB3..

KG3.5

Freg Resp: 36Hz - 20kHz

Sensivitiy: 94 db 1w/1m

Power: 65w RMS / 325w peak

Tweeter: K-84-K 1" Poly Comp, 90x40 Exponential

X-over: 1800 Woofer: K-1002-K 8" ICG

SB-3:

Freg Resp: 52Hz - 20kHz

Sensivitiy: 94 db 1w/1m

Power: 100w RMS/ 400w peak

Tweeter: K-101-S 1" Alum. Comp. 90x60 Tractrix

X-over: 2700 K-1093-SB 8" cast IMG

dougdrake,

I understand that the KG3.5 will give me lower bass, but if I plan on using an external sub (SV 25/31cs), do the low frequency capabilities of the KG3.5's make a difference ? I would assume not. That would leave the mids and highs. Do you know if there is a significant difference in this region ?

Guest BobG

Phil must not have had his coffee when he replied. He was thinking 2.5's as They had the conical horn.

3.5's used a rectangular section tractrix horn with 90 wide by 40 high dispersion pattern. The dome was either a phenolic impregnated fabric substrate or a amide depending on the year of manufacture. 8" woofer. Also depending on date built, they may be wood veneer (older production) or vinyl. Same cabinet material under the epidermis.

Me? I'm on my 2nd cup.