M&K subs are way overpriced!

TheEAR

This week I was comparing various M&K subs to my reference subs,from the MX105

to the 350THX.

The sub built quality(cabinet)is very good nothing to complain about,the amp section is very competent.But good lord the drivers(woofers)are cheapo dollar store like.

No wonder these doo well in "muiscality" err read upper bass.These are not true long throw woofers.The stapled steel baskets,and very ordinary(not like the high grade stapled steel on the SVS PC-Plus woofer)dare I say tiny magnets make me wonder why the high price?

SVS,Adire,Sunfire,Revel,velodyne and just about any serious sub uses a beefy woofer(s) capable of a very generous linear travel.The M&K subs..even the top of the line unit use very ordinary woofers with no great capability.

No wonder their only claim to fame is the so called "musicality" as below 30Hz they sink as fast as a tank used as a boat.

yepp TheEAR they are way too much overrated.

hey kain 64. saw ur post.

for the amp. why not change it to a b&k 200.7 . and for the preamp. i dont know yet. coz for me. the best sounding pre/processor is the mc-8/b or the mc-12/b by lexicon for its renowned LOGIC 7. they are too much for the price but worth every penny. i think the mc-8 is for like $5000 or more, and the mc-12 is like $8999 or more. the other altnernative is buying a harman kardon reciever avr-325 because of its 7.1 capability and of course the renowned LOGIC 7. there you can use the preouts of the reciever and connect it to the amp that you wanted to buy.

there you have it . the b&k 200.7 cost like $2700-2800

and the harman/kardon avr-325 cost like $550 at onecall.com.

good thing on having a reviever with those feature is that u can put some speakers for the reciever.. as long as the amp.lol

ONLY THING IF THIS WILL WORK IS:

IF THE HARMAN KARDON AVR-325 WILL BE OUTPUTTING THE PROCESSED SOUND INSIDE IT THROUGH ITS PREOUTS.

THEREFORE, YOU WILL HAVE A LOGIC 7 PREOUTS AS LONG AS THE OTHER DECODERS.LOL

ask more people about this coz' im not sure.

The bass quality produced by M&K subs is very good,but the output down low is not up to the best performers at the price.

Its easy to see the limiting parts,the woofers used.To call these long throw is to stretch things.

SVS,Sunfire,Adire,TC Sounds,Velo HGS,Aerial and Revel woofers are true long throw units.

A woofer should have at least a 1" peak to peak to even deserve the long throw badge.A few of my subs have woofers with over 2" peak to peak,and linear travel of over 1.5".Now this is long throw,and a Tumult has almost 3" of cone travel!