Foolish newbie needs subwoofer advice

damonrpayne

OK, I'm fairly close to finishing my system. I was going to go Klipsch all around for speakers. However, I see people raving about SVS subwoofers here. I looked Here at their new PB1. For quite a bit less than the RSW-12 it seems to have comparable specs? I don't know anything about subs and I haven't auditioned any yet. As far as I know, I just want something that sounds good and can go "LOW", right? This is the last piece I have to buy, Help!

if you wanted to have a really low freq. bass try the

16-46CS Subwoofer

Samson 700 Watt Amp

Pro-Grade Interconnect

. they are really good.

they are really for HT use.. but not for music use.

velodyne's are also good/ by the way.. how much is your budget? i hope it is around $800-900. if so:

if you wanted to have both music and HT go with the velodyne's.

if you really wanted really low freq bass but not intended for music use... try the svs i mentioned above. hsu vtf-3 are good also. u can't get wrong with hsu.. ohh mann it runs almost a 20 pound magnet structure. hsu are good on lows also. so my best suggestion is to try them out. thing is u can't try thr hsu n svs.lol but im sure others can help you here.

my advice with the rsw-12 vs SVS:

SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS SVS 9.gif10.gif

i think the idea that SVS is not musical comes from the same reasoning that people either "love or hate the klipsch sound". SVS is so "non-boomy" (haha..nice technical term) that it is not as in-your-face compared to many subs that do not have a flat response curve.

for me, listening to the same music that i did when i had a ksw-12...i think there is bass actually MISSING sometimes...but then realize that the ksw-12 was booming away in the 40-60Hz range way more than it SHOULD have...while the SVS does not. it is crisp, clear, solid bass that doesn't overdue it (unless you want it to...hehehe)

Doug - I echo your thoughts on references to SVS being for HT only. Not having heard one yet, its not a point I can argue. Funny thing is, it is the deep bass notes that are difficult for speakers/subs to hit with authority. SPL roll-off is generally found when they begin struggling to hit the lower HZs. If SVS is known for hitting the deep bass notes, it only makes sense that the higher ones would be easier. Tuning will also come into play. It really seems to me that those who promote some of the other lines over SVS are looking for the silver lining. Some are not able to compete on the bottom end, but they are fast and accurate above 20HZ. Therefore, some say they are more musical. I don't see them as being MORE musical, just more ORIENTED for the type/range of bass associated with music. Hey, I could be wrong! I'll let you know when my SVS PB2+ arrives.

I'm thinking of giving the SVS a try. To those of you who suggested a higher end SV model: I still need to buy my RS-7 surrounds and I'm going to be running out of cash soon. For $599, the SVS PB1-ISD seems too good to pass up. It can go down to 22hz same as the RSW-12, and its small enough to fit reasonably in my room without looking too crazy.

I think I'll post another thread to see if anyone around me has actually bought one I can listen to.