Need home theater advice

pc inc

I am clueless to all of the new home theater talk.

After years of moving around in apartments where space and money were issues, I accumulated a lot of old components. Now in the world of home theater, I do not know what to do. I have the following gear to incorporate into a new home theater system in a large room:

Carver 250 Watt Power Amp (M-500t)

Carver Pre-Amp/Tuner Combo (CT-17)

Denon tape deck

1 Pair Klipsch Forte

1 Pair Klipsch kg3

Sony 5 CD Changer

Sony DVD player

In my first house, I just stored all of this stuff and put in a Bose Lifestyle system, but now want to upgrade to real home theater.

Should I just scrap this stuff and start over? The preamp and amp are old and I assume a no go in the new digital era? Can I match these speakers? If I use these speakers, which go where, what center channel do I buy, what subwoofer, powered or not powered?

Any help much appreciated

I was in much the same situation (except I never touched Bose) recently. What I did was to start assembling a 5.1 digital system out of what I had - now I've replaced almost everything. You've got 4 speakers so maybe start with getting a center channel and an audio video receiver? Does your DVD player do digital sound out? Replace that first if it can't.

Like what was already said, you already have 4 speakers. I'd use the Forte's in the front, but finding the matching center may be difficult. The Acadamy would be the ideal center, but they seem to be pretty hard to come by and if you do finally find one, be prepared to pay for it.

The Carver Amp sould be fine, especially if it produces a nice clean power. I'd use that to power your fronts. You would probably want to get at least a modern reciever to power the other channels as well as provide the modern surround formats (DD, DTS, ProLogic II, etc). As to what reciever to get - there seems to be holy war between Denon, Harmon/Kardon, Yamaha, and a couple others. The CD player and Tape deck should be good.

Lastly, unload the Bose Lifestyle on eBay. As much as that thing sucks (yeah, there are things that sucks worst, but still), you can actually get a pretty decent price for it and use the money to get the new reciever and center channel speaker.