yamaha mx-830

swami49

I've been looking for a low-cost amp that runs class a at low wattage for my cornwalls. Someone suggested the Yamaha m-60 or m-80. In looking, I found an mx-830, but can locate no information regarding this amp. Is anyone familiar with it? Am I on the right track to match my Cornwalls at a reasonable price?

Thank you in advance.

Swami,

The Yamaha MX-830 came out in 1991 and along with the MX-630 and MX-1000u was the "big three" from Yamaha that year (not including the rare MX-2000 series).

It was rated at 170 watts per channel,has 3 sets of speaker outputs, and weighs in at 30lbs.

It has Yamahas HCA Hyperbolic Conversion Amplification which is suppose to be smoother from Class A to Class A/B transition than the earlier M series.I don't know how long it stays in Class A though,10-15 watts is my guess.It does not have the power meters like the M-85/MX-1000u.

I can't tell you how it sounds as I have never heard one but if the price is right (they retailed for $699.99 in 1992) I say go for it-really not much to lose as you can always sell on audiogon/audioweb/e-bay.

Jeff

I have a M-80, and a M-65. I have had both run my Forte II'a on my HT. They are also run through a Yamaha EQ, sounds great. I have yet to run the Cornwalls (1979) through the Yamaha yet. I am saving them for tubes. Let me know what yours sound like when you buy. The yamaha amps were a definite improvement over the integrated RXV-992. It is used as the processor now. Lots of and head room on the Yamaha M series and volume. The Klipsch get a little bright over 95db. Have lots of slam though.