New Reference Series System

MrFC1000

I was considering purchasing the following:

RF-15 or RF-25 Fronts

RS-25 Surrounds

RC-25 Cnter

One of the front firing subs

I haven't seen much posted on the RF-15's or 25's yet. I spent quite a bit of time listening to speaker systems at Soundtrack, and thought the 25's sounded a little better than the 15's. The older RF3-II's seemed even a little richer, fuller sounding to me. I did not listen to anything above this price range since I'm on a limited budget (around $1500). I'm not an audiphile by any means, but I was actually a little disappointed in the overall clarity of the system. Maybe I was trying to find something that wasn't there, because they certainly sounded magnitudes better than the smaller systems such as Bose, Infinity and even the Klipsch Quintet system. Or maybe it was all the people and other noises filtering into the room. Dunno.

This is going into a pretty decent size room, over 400 sq feet with a vaulted ceiling ranging from 10 to probably 25 feet. I'm moving and currently have a Bose system installed in the walls which, thankfully, stays with the current house. The people before me put it in and I couldn't justify switching it out until we moved again. My other pertinent components are :

Kenwood 6070 THX 100 watt/chnl rcvr

Hitachi 43" HDTV

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else listened to this newer set-up and what are your impressions?

2. Will I regret later not upping my budget and spending more on a system including RF-5's or Rf-7's or something similar? The step up in $ is pretty big.

3. Are the older RF-3 II's be better than the new RF-15's and RF-25's?

3. What's the latest scoop on this Tractrix horn technology? I read on the internet (grain of salt) that the horns could actually distort the sound and they kept it too focused.

Just trying to gain some information before I make a pretty big purchase. I know the saying goes that it all comes down to what each person likes, but the choices and brands are overwhelming at this price point while the review information is very sparse.

Everyone, thanks in advance.

First I want to say welcome to the greatest forum around.

Second if you can afford them go for the rf3II or the new rf35. The rf35 sound better to me than all listed. But if you buget can't swing it go for the 25's. I believe in get the bigest and best you can afford. I have the RF3II and I have been slowly upgrading. I have separated now and that was a big inprovement over a reciever. So there is always room for improvement in what ever you get.

As for the tweeter, I like them. Once they are boken in and you have the right componets on them they sound great. If you have listen to them and like the sound then you won't be disappointed. I listen to my main rf3II in the store and I was worried about the bass responce because it had none in the store. Once I got them home and hooked them up they had alot more than in the store. Once they broke in it was even better yet.

I know your next question is how do you brake them in. Just play music through them and they will start to sound better aftor a couple hours then a week.

If you have any questions in the future just ask and everyone here will help.

I just picked up a pair of rb35 for rear surround duty. The first thing I did though was hook them up to a two channel system. I was impressed they could serve as a front speaker probably as well as the rf 25. They have good tone balance and better base than my herseys. Just a thought. Big rooms do better with big systems though. You may want to hold out for something that better suits your needs.

So, what is really the difference between the RF15,25 and 35? It seems like the only real difference is the woofer size, 5.25 in the 15, 6.50 in the 25 and 8.0 in the 35. Oh yeah, and also the horn size. From a technical standpoint, I understand that a larger woofer would allow lower frequencies, but would it miss some mid-range then?

I can get the RF3-II for pretty much the same price as the RF-25's, btw.

Thanks.

I have just finished my reference system. I gotta tell you if you can do something like this for around $5k, this will absolutely blow your mind!!!

B&K reference 50 preamp

Acurus A 125x5

Yamaha DVD-C920

Klipsch RB 5 II

Klipsch RC 3 II

Klipsch KG 5.2

Klipsch RSW 12

M&K MX-90

Monster M850/950/1000 series interconnects

There is nothing like separates. Outlaw Audio makes a great, affordable HT amp as well. I picked up the Acurus as a demo for $600. You can do something like this gradually by using your Kenwood as a preamp until get a true HT preamp. The great thing about the B&K stuff (ref 20 and 30 are fairly affordable, ref 50 goes for $2100 - $3000 depending on where you buy) is that it is ALL SOFTWARE UPGRADEABLE meaning you will NEVER need to buy another piece of equipment. You can pick up the reference stuff at many places on the net or tweeter as closeouts. TRUST ME, if you build your system similiar to this, you will be the envy of everyone who hears your setup!9.gif