comparing Subs

bsacco

I recently found out about a company that produces excellent quality speakers and only distribute them over the Internet. The company is Home Theater Direct (www.home theaterdirect.com).

I'm looking buy a subwoofer and was wondering how their "Level Three Subwoofer" stacked up against the KSW-12, RSW 15 and SVS. I once saw a great subwoofer shootout article on this forum a while ago that compared the RSW, SVS, Velodyne, etc... anyone still have this link?

Level THREE Powered Subwoofer- SpecificationsPower 150 watts RMS, 270 watts peak

Frequency Response 30 Hz - 150 Hz

Voice Coil 2.5"

Shielded Magnet 39 + 25 OZ

Sensitivity 92 dB

Dimensions (HxWxD) 19" x 15 3/4" x 15 3/4"

Weight (per piece) 52 lbs

Key Functions

Power (on, auto-on/auto-off, off)

Phase switch (0,180)

Variable Level Control

Variable Crossover

Inputs

Hi Level (speaker) In

Line Level (RCA) In

Outputs

Hi Level (speaker) Out

Line Level (RCA) Out

For HT use, when you want the impact of the low bass found in movie soundtracks, this sub looks like a snoozer - 30hz is the low point? For HT use, you really want to get down to 20hz if possible, and lower. It can be done for not a ton of money.

How much is this thing, anyway?

DD

Dougdrake is correct. A 30hz spec isn't that good. And he also brings up another good point: How much are the speakers in question? If the sub is your first and it's priced under $200 (sans delivery costs) then it might be worth it. Because it would be your first, it'll probably provide some "wow" factor. (At least that's what happened to me with a Polk sub.)