Turntable issues?

Jaggie

I have a sanyo turntable. Problem is I'm only getting reception from the left channel. I tried switching the channels but then the left channel was dead. Is it most likely the cable or is it maybe the needle or stylus? Also, the unit tends to skip alot. Even if I tiptoe around it skips. I don't know much about turntables so I could use the help, thanks.

Sounds like the cable if you get absolutlely no sound from that connection. With a bad stylus you would probably hear something.

You need to increase your track setting if it's skipping. Does the TT have a track setting adjustment wheel at the end (or beginning) of the tonearm? In the old days we used to put a penny on top of the headshell to keep it from skipping but that's not advisable.

There was a thread a couple of days ago. Maybe someone could chime in if they can remember what it was. Lots of good recommendations. Fini just hunted down a nice one. Look for one with a decent cartridge included. A couple hundred bucks on ebay can get you something pretty nice but I'm not really the TT expert here so maybe start a new thread. Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

I bought a 30 day old Music Hall MMF-5 for $350 off audiogon w/cartridge. This TT has gotten a lot of good press for value as an entry level "audiophile" TT and sells in the $400's new (list is $499 or so).

VPI Jr I think is a notch more expense.

Used Rega P3's with new cartridges (ie Sumiko Blue Point) are popular.

The used $100 TT with new $100 Cartridge probably is another option.

Then there is the $60 new cartridge on used sub $100 TT option. I have a Grado Red on Denon TT. I found the Denon at a garage sale for $4.

I'm sure others can give many other options.