My first Klipsches! 1977 Cornwalls!

I am now the proud owner of a pair of 1977 Klipsch Cornwalls. I've had them for about a
week and am very happy to be an Official Klipsch Nut.

I have a choice of amplifiers: two McIntosh MC-30s or a Dynaco ST-70. Cabling is all DNM
Reson. My sources are a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable and a Sony SCD-SE775 modified by SACDMods.com.
Preamp is Wright-Sound WPL-10V -- tubes all the way!

I play my DVD player through the tubes, too. Movies have never sounded so real.

I bought the Cornwalls to replace a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs. While the Maggies are great
speakers, they just don't make the kind of magic the Cornwalls do with my tubes. There's
just more music, air, and human coming out of the Cornwalls. And they make my wife and I
dance more often, too. There's nothing like an old Ray Charles LP played through tubes and
Cornwalls to get your feet moving.

I know understand perfectly why so many people rave about their vintage Klipsch speakers.
I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Cornwalls.

Welcome "efhjr" to an exclusive little club. By following the posts and adding your two cents worth from time to time, you'll find lots of info on how Klipsches are used with other gear, and find this is a pretty good bunch of 'joes' and 'joettes'(very occasional) that are free to express an opinion and appreciate others. And for trivial diversion, there's the Bott's Dots thread that appears from time to time like headlights in the fog.

As for dvd's going through tubes into Cornwalls, you're making me drool. I'm a bit of a vintage SS fan who's slowly starting to wonder what the fuss is all about. So I'm warming up to the idea. I'd love to hear a tube setup sometime up here in the White North - a little more heat is always nice. Welcome and take care. Hamish

----------------

On 7/17/2003 4:32:40 PM Myhamish wrote:

Welcome "efhjr" to an exclusive little club. By following the posts and adding your two cents worth from time to time, you'll find lots of info on how Klipsches are used with other gear, and find this is a pretty good bunch of 'joes' and 'joettes'(very occasional) that are free to express an opinion and appreciate others. And for trivial diversion, there's the Bott's Dots thread that appears from time to time like headlights in the fog.

As for dvd's going through tubes into Cornwalls, you're making me drool. I'm a bit of a vintage SS fan who's slowly starting to wonder what the fuss is all about. So I'm warming up to the idea. I'd love to hear a tube setup sometime up here in the White North - a little more heat is always nice. Welcome and take care. Hamish

----------------

Hamish,

Come down to the DC area and I'll show you why another old SS/Klipsch fan turned to tubes.2.gif

BTW Efhjr,

Welcome to the cornclub. You'll never turn back. Try both amps and see what you like. Mine sound great on a my scott 299b but I also have some Mac gear on the way. Don't know yet which will win out and which wil live with the heresys in the basement. It's a win win situation. 1.gif

You're a man after my own heart! I traded my younger brother my excellent Magnepan MGLR1's for our dad's beloved Cornwalls he was using at the time (see my long story here at Odds & Mods: "What's left of my audio system").

Granted, my Maggies are fantastic planars that still amaze me when I listen to my bro's HT (for movies and music they're just so dynamic; imaging is downright erie when you hear a jazz guitar in front and drums in the rear). But I didn't like taxing all the 200 watts from my McIntosh MC7200 SS amp just to drive them. With the classic Cornwalls, all I needed was a lil' 50 watt Mac MC250, and even that's too much power for these mammoth horns (and at over 110dB the MC250 barely breaks a sweat)!

I had a vacuum tube preamp before, so I know just how delicate and also how powerful tubes can make Klipsch loudspeakers sound...and once my finances are back on track, I'll make the leap into tube amplification. Your choice of either the Macs or the Dynaco are damn good choices indeed, but there are SET amps to consider as well. Give the Macs and the Dynaco a good long listen; you can't go wrong with either. Any amplifier questions you ever have (tube or SS) will be answered to the fullest by all the in-house experts here at this Forum.

Good luck with your Cornwall purchase, and welcome to these Klipsch Forums. You will not be disappointed in the least (and you won't miss your Maggies, either)!2.gif