I'm dumb, promedia 4.1 problem...

I just got a set of promedia 4.1's and they came with a tornado digital decoder. Since these two devices came as a package, i assumed all the cables would be present to set them up, and i believe thats where my problem lies, but im gonna go into it anyway in case its somethign else, or it least to find out what cable i need. The input is no problem, the output from the audio card is split into analog and goes into the decoder. However, the output on the digital decoder is divided into line, sub, surround, and center. There is no center speaker, so thats no problem. However, I cant help but notice that the promedia 4.1 system only has two cables to accept input, and they cant fill the line, surround, and sub output jacks. Thus, i either have no front speakers, no surround, or no sub. I dont really see any way of adding another input to the speakers besides splitting an existing one, but that doesnt seem right...Any suggestions?

----------------

On 7/18/2003 1:33:47 AM squidbaumer wrote:

I just got a set of promedia 4.1's and they came with a tornado digital decoder. Since these two devices came as a package, i assumed all the cables would be present to set them up, and i believe thats where my problem lies, but im gonna go into it anyway in case its somethign else, or it least to find out what cable i need. The input is no problem, the output from the audio card is split into analog and goes into the decoder. However, the output on the digital decoder is divided into line, sub, surround, and center. There is no center speaker, so thats no problem. However, I cant help but notice that the promedia 4.1 system only has two cables to accept input, and they cant fill the line, surround, and sub output jacks. Thus, i either have no front speakers, no surround, or no sub. I dont really see any way of adding another input to the speakers besides splitting an existing one, but that doesnt seem right...Any suggestions?

----------------

I am not familiar with the tornado digital decoder but I thought there would be 3 mini plugs; line(front left and right), surround(rear left and right), and center/sub. or 6 RCA plugs, but you didn't specify that and just says "line, sub, surround, and center" in any case, you don't have anthing to worry because 4.1 does not make use of the subwoofer output of the decoder. 4.1 has only 4 channels; front L, front R, rear L, and rear R. the subwoofer signal is carried along with the satellite signals. 5.1 in the other hand, has 6 channels; FL, FR, RL, RR, center, and subwoofer. yes that's right, the sub has its own channel. but unless the source is encoded in 6 channels in such formats as Dolby Digital or DTS, even the promedia 5.1 does not make use of the subwoofer channel. the full signal goes into the back of the subwoofer and its own crossover system decides what frequencies go to the satellites and the subwoofer. have fun with your new promedia 4.1.9.gif

P.S. this is the troubleshooting section for the home audio speakers. the promedia section is further down. a piece of advice; don't even bother with sections like customer service, troubleshooting, etc... if you have any questions, post in the 4.1 general question section.