Question about High Definition TV

pzs22

I have a new wide screen high def tv. Here is the exact tv: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=57778

Heres the problem...

I have comcast cable. Their high def channels are from 172-190. When I go to these channels half of them come in with bars on the sides (not on the top and bottom as I sometimes see with some dvds. I have NO idea why this is happening, does anyone know what is going on? When I watch the same channel not in high definition (say channel 172 is high def and 47 is the same channel but not high def) it looks fine all fills up the screen. I believe the normal channels are 4x3 instead of 16x9 (which is what my tv is). Does anyone know why the high def channels come in with the bars? I would think they would fill the whole screen. Its very confusing.

Also, can you only watch dvds in 480p and not higher res's like 1080i?

I know this is a confusing question, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks.

I checked the hook up about a million times. Every thing is correct cable wise, and the tv settings seem perfect. DVD's work, so I know the tv setting cant be (too) off. The tv is set for 16x9 on 1080i resolution.

Ok not to sound stupid...but make sure you have a HD box from Comcast, it is different than the digital one.

Just a thought. Many people get the digital one, thinking they get 5.1 or 7.1 sound, only to have it explained later that is not possible..

With the HD one you will!!

My 2 cents...

well, I have Comcast and I have the Digital HD box, so:

1. Are you using either Component or DVI out?

2. Did you make sure to select 16:9 mode on the box menu? If not, here's how:

1. turn off the unit, until it displays black or something, then push "menu" which should then display a white menu rather than the normal colorful crap. anyway, make sure in there it says 16:9 for TV type, and set the YPbPr output as either 1080i or 720p when you watch HD, depending on what that channel is broadcasting. You can leave the 4:3 override as off or 480i. Point is to make sure and not use the crappy scaler in the motorola cable box.

3. If you did all the above, and are still getting some HD programming with vertical bars, well, you cant do anything about it. Whenever you watch HD, you lose control of aspect ratios and stretching. If is broadcast in 4:3, then you're stuck with it. Most everything that is true HD, will be in 16:9, but sometimes on HD channels, they will "upconvert" 4:3 stuff to HD, and broadcast it, but they wont mess with the aspect ratio.

My personal advise is to avoid watching 4:3 HD stuff on HD channels, becasue of that whole screen burn thing. I have a plasma, and you have a CRT RPTV, so you're in the same boat as me. Save your display and be patient till 2007 when hopefully this stuff will be mostly 16:9. Only ppl except from this rule are the ones with LCD or DLP tvs...

I find the same thing happens with HD satelite (DISH) sometimes, especially when watching HBO or showtime in HD. It seems they don't ALWAYS use HD source material and frequently don't upconvert to 720p or 1080i. What I then do is use the zoom feature on my Hitachi Ultravision (similar to your unit) to scale it up and fill the screen. Hope this helps.

Jerry Rappaport

I do have a HD Box from comcast. They came and replaced my old one last week.

1. Are you using either Component or DVI out?

Component

2. Did you make sure to select 16:9 mode on the box menu? If not, here's how:

Yup, I followed the exact steps you went into. The guy who installed the box showed me how.

3. If you did all the above, and are still getting some HD programming with vertical bars, well, you cant do anything about it. Whenever you watch HD, you lose control of aspect ratios and stretching. If is broadcast in 4:3, then you're stuck with it. Most everything that is true HD, will be in 16:9, but sometimes on HD channels, they will "upconvert" 4:3 stuff to HD, and broadcast it, but they wont mess with the aspect ratio.

I guess I'll just have to live with this until everyone converts.

Thanks for all the great info.