Are these being discontinued?

boa12

just looking thru & admiring all the klipsch classics on the new web site & saw the RP speaks in there (along

w/ the legends/klf that we know about).

are the rp now being discontinued? if so, does that mean klipsch has new powered towers on the horizon or is it just gonna be the SP-1?

also, the site shows the Cornwall II timeline as 1981 to 1990. as my cornwall I are '84, guess there was about 3 yrs where both I & II were being made(?)

or is this just covering for those hybrids (I 1/2) around the early 80s(?)

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver(stereo power amp for rf-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Guest JimG

Hey Boa! Thanks for the catch. My date of 1981 is wrong. :o The correct dates should have been (and I am verifying this too) Cornwall 1959-1985 and Cornwall II 1985-1990. Cornwall's and Heresy's were both changed to "II's" around the same time. I have made the change on the site for Cornwall I & II. There may be a few more mistakes on some older models, so if anyone finds something they believe to be wrong, please let me know and I will research it again and change it if it needs to be changed. All of the info that you see on historic models was the result of a spreadsheet that I did when I was first hired. Since no one had ever compiled anything like that, it took months to research and put together. I tried to dig up as many old dealer cost sheets, literature, ads, picking people's brains, the museum - all to get the info. As I'm sure you could imagine, trying to get the details on a speaker that was made 20 or more years ago when there is not much left documentation wise and not many employees still here that were there then, and those who are still here don't really remember...well, you get the idea.

As for RP-3 and RP-5, yes they are discontinued and no, there are no powered replacements for them. RF-5 and RF-7 will live in their price-points. The SP-1 is the only powered tower in the line now.

Jim

you bet jim. following some of the lengthy cornwall discussion, it looks like in '84 klipsch started using some of the drivers of the future corn II in the corn I, hence Cornwall I 1/2?. but i won't hold u to that much detail Biggrin.gif

so if no powered towers on the nearterm horizon? i was envisioning something along those lines in the future w/ your mondial amp acquisition. any thing coming w/ those amps? are the new rsw using their amps? (that's probably been mentioned but sorry I forget).

iow, any direct klipsch/mondial product integration?

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Roussound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Why are you discontinuing the RP5 and RP3? Are they not selling well, or is it that Klipsch realized the compromises you have to make when using a powered tower in a room? I originally had the RP5 - and didn't like the sound of it at all (the bass part anyway). It seemed like the midrange and the sub were working against each other. I returned them and got the RB5's and one KSW 12 - it sounds much cleaner in the bass region!

Now I can't wait to see those new RSW subs! When are they going to be listed on the new site?

By the way - I love the new site - it looks great - much more up to date and professional!

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

touche bac. i sorta followed that same thinking (see below) having started w/ the rp-3(bad amps), then the rp-5, and then...

i can't wait to hear the new rsw either. think i have the local dealer talked into stocking a 15. Smile.gif

i saw pics of the rsw but no details for a lil while on the site, but then they disappeared. Eyes.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Roussound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Guest JimG

The RSW's do not use Mondial amplifiers in them. Right now, Mondial and Klipsch products are each their own things, however, the capabilities of the two brands certainly offer some opportunities.

As for powered towers, I mentioned before that the RF-5 and 7 will be basically taking their price points, so there is no need to have two products in the same line sitting on identical price points. Klipsch has always been about ultradynamic, high-performance passive loudspeakers - it's our forte (pun intended) - so that's what the Reference line is becoming. As most of you have discovered, you can get better performance from RF-3's with a seperate sub. Having the second woofer in the RF-3 vs. the single in the RP's really adds some midrange punch. Of the powered towers, I have always liked the RP-5 best, but that's just my preference. I like big speakers and big bass. That's why I'll be getting RF-7's and a RSW-15 here real soon.

Jim