Upgrade time, please help.

Jw_Leonhart

Currently I am looking at the Yamaha HTR-5640 and I would like to know if this is a good choice for a reciever. It currently runs about $300 over at Bestbuy and looks pretty good. It features alot of nifty extra's for it's price. If anyone could recommend one better for this price range or just if this one is any good at all I would appreciate it.

I hear good and bad things about Yamaha (just like everything else on the market, everyone has a varying opinion). But, most people who own the lower end Yamaha's say they are decent for HT but not so great for music (2 channel). I personally have not heard this unit. If you can afford a little more, the Denon AV-2803 can be had from buydig.com for less than $600.00 and it is a top-notch mid-fi A/V receiver. I wouldn't go mch lower end than this level, though. Hope this helps. BTW, what is your present setup and what are you looking to get out of your setup once you upgrade your receiver? Do you listen to much music, or mostly SS?

Yamaha receivers are excellent, especially in the lower to mid price range. My very first receiver was the Yammy RX-V595A which I got for $500. It was phenomenal. I believe that yamaha receivers are extremely musical as well as being terrific for movies, and best other competitors in this price range (pioneer, sony, kenwood, HK, denon, etc.)

Their DSP modes are awesome, the build quality is as study as it comes, and the list goes on. I am a real fan of yamaha, and I think the HTR-5640 would be a great investment.

Ok well what do you mean not to expect it to "power" my mains. I mean they are only the Quintets and aren't really all that powerful. If there is a better reciever for around the same price please recommend it. Also, on Yamah they have a comparison chart and the 5640 and the 5650 don't really seem to have any differences, at least not anything good for an extra $100.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/receiver_15.htm

That is the link, any reason to go one step up or should I definantly stick with just $300 for the Yamaha HTR-5640?

I am currently running the set of 5 Quintet speakers with a Polk Audio PSW250 sub.