General 4.1 Question

Sonic98

I just have a question about 4.1 speaker systems in general.

Does the sub turn-on if you don't have a 4.1 sound card?

I notice that the suggestion given with most 4.1 speaker systems when you dont have a 4.1 soundcard is connect both front and rear outputs but only front inputs. I know people with 4.1 speaker systems, and they said this does allow them to hear sound out of all 4 speakers.

But I noticed something the other day. I was at a friend's house and his sub was not on. HE was getting sound from both speakers but no sub. I hooked just the front speakers to a 2.1 sub, and it came on. Are 4.1 subs designed not to turn on without all inputs or does he just need a new sub?

----------------

On 8/2/2003 8:12:09 AM Sonic98 wrote:

I hooked just the front speakers to a 2.1 sub, and it came on.

----------------

would you clarify what you meant by this? unless your friend has his software mixed up somewhere, a full range signal should get sent to the front channels. then it is up to the promedia to decide what signals go to the satellites and what plays on the subwoofer. is the subwoofer out completely? try hooking up the speakers to a portable CD/MP3 player or something so the source is different.

You know I might have that backwards. IT was about a month ago that I noticed this with his speakers,and I haven't really checked them out since. I know I hooked the 2.1 satellites into the 4.1 sub, but I thought I remember hooking the 4.1's front satellites into the 2.1 sub and getting sound from the satellites and the 2.1 sub.

When I tried hooking the 2.1 satellites to the 4.1 sub, I got not sub.

The same thing is happening with a 4.1 labtec system at my office. I just wondered if you get no sub without all the inputs. I mean I have a 2.1 system. When I plug it into my computer, I get all this bass from my sub. HE hooks his 4.1 system into my computer and nothing. The sub is completely out. I've had a couple 2.1 systems where the sub cuts off when you unplug the satellites. I just thought the same thing might be going on.