Help : where to place the 2 surrounds

legend9

Hi all,

I wanted to ask where should I place the 2 RS3s for my HT ? I have Rf3 , RC3 , and 2 RS3s. In my layout, I can place the surround right besides my ear, (over my head a bit) , or the option is to go with the surround all the way to the ball of my head, in the back wall. Should I go with two side walls near me, or the back wall, which is a bout 4 feet further behind me?

Thanks.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will do that. My old receiver, DENON 3802, has speaker setup of surround A / surround B. For surround A, it pictures the surrounds as being on the side wall. Should I should surround A even though my actual surrounds will be in the back?

It shouldn't make much difference. Try it both ways and see what you like best or if you can even tell a difference. The RS3s are designed to direct the sound every which way. They should sound good on either setting and you can control the volume output anyway. Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: I'm not familiar with the denon so someone who is may want to jump in here and give you some advice on the surround setting.

----------------

On 8/2/2003 8:05:09 PM legend9 wrote:

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will do that. My old receiver, DENON 3802, has speaker setup of surround A / surround B. For surround A, it pictures the surrounds as being on the side wall. Should I should surround A even though my actual surrounds will be in the back?

----------------

I have a Denon AVR3802 also. The original intent of the A/B surrounds was to have Di-Pole/Tri-Pole/Wide-Dispersion type speakers as one set for say watching movies and such with a lot of ambient sounds and Monopole for music listening as the second set. The manual shows them on the rear wall, but in actuallity, place them where you feel they would work the best. In my personal setup, I have a pair of RS-7 hooked up to the 'A' surrounds and they are mounted on the side walls a couple feet above my ears as I am sitting down (about 5 1/2 feet or so up from the floor). For the 'B' surrounds, I have a pair of RF-5s hooked up for listening to music (full-range towers). They are on the side walls directly beneath the RS-7s. I have a single RC-7 in the rear (I have a 6.1 setup).

Ok, thanks great help. I will try it tomorrow morning. My final question is this: If I do the surrround above my head ( 3-4 feets ), it looks a lot cleaner and nicer than all the way to the rear, since the sofas and the rear wall are 6-8 feet apart. My ONLY purpose for surround is for HT effects, not music. For music, I would only use stereo: 2 - channel. Is doign the rear still the best for HT ? 12.gif

----------------

On 8/2/2003 10:28:31 PM legend9 wrote:

Is doign the rear still the best for HT ?
12.gif

----------------

It seems that Dolby themselves recommends a side placement of the surrounds as shown here:

co_br_0110_ListenersGuideEX02.jpg

However, the Klipsch RS-3 WDST speakers do seem to allow much flexibility in placement. If possible, try both in the rear and in the sides and go with the placement that works/sounds best for you. If placeing them in the rear works best for you, both aesthetically and even sound wise, than go for it.