How much power do Klipsch CF-2's need??

I don't recall the sensitivity rating of the CF-2, but I'm assuming it's in the mid 90dB range; let's say 95dB, 1W/1m. Even with relatively high sensitivity though, if you have an average size or larger room with thick carpet and drapes, yada-yada-yada...to cut to the chase, at least 20 to 30 watts on peaks. That would work out to an output at 1 meter of 108 to 110dB spl. Which to me would be SLAMMIN' LOUD, but if you want it clean... Of course, you'll lose some spl with increase distance from the speakers, but still, consistant peaks at over 100dB should be quite sufficient. Of course, I'm pumping 80W into klipschorns, so who am I to preach moderation? Smile.gif I probably seldom actually use over 5 or 10 watts on peaks, though. Cool.gif

Good Luck,

------------------

JDMcCall

The CF-2's have an efficiency of 98db, 1w/1m. Moderation! What's that? Demented....what type of tube amp are you considering building and are you totally set on going that route? I have never heard any Epic's ran off tubes, would be interested to find out what you come up with. Later..

I have a pair of CF-4. I found that to get the bass slam and impact that these beasties are really capable of, you need an amp that delivers a LOT of current. The impedence is pretty benign, but the woofer design can soak up an HUGE amount of current when you're trying to get 'em to bang. I was using a Jolida SJ502A, with a pair of 6550-C Svetlanas in push-pull per channel, and it sounded really good in the upper bass, mids and highs, but it didn't have the bass impact I was looking for. Actually found a little bitty Rotel RA850BX2 integrated, at something around 30 watts / side into 8 ohms, could get the CF-4 to kick harder than the Jolly. If you're NOTs> too much into rockin' bass, and are looking more for the midrange bloom and open, detailed high end that the Epic deliver, then I think you'd be safe even if you went the 2A3 route.

Ray

Oh, FYI:

Epic CF-2:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 36Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front-mounted port

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Two-way system using one 2" (5.08cm) magnetically shielded, aluminum diaphragm compression driver with a 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and

two 8" (20.32cm) neodymium magnet, poly carbon graphite cone woofers

TWEETER: K-64-KN 2" (5.08cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 2200Hz

WOOFER: Two K-1029-KN 8" (20.32cm) Poly carbon graphite cones

DIMENSIONS: 37" (93.98cm) x 13" (33.02cm) x 16" 40.64cm)

WEIGHT: 80 lbs. (36.29kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Whitewash, Lt. Oak, Med. Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Black Satin

YEARS BUILT: 1994 - 1996

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering