power

chambers1517

I am finally through building my home theater. I have 3 lascalas and 2 khorns. I have a front projector with the center lascala in the wall behind an acoustic screen. I had an older Yamaha pro logic reciever and wanted to upgrade. I wasn't able to afford the reciever I wanted, so temporarly I bought a cheap sony dolby digital reciever to get me by. It is rated at 100wx6 but when in pro logic ll it doesn't seem very powerful. I think when I switch to 2 channel it seems louder. Is this a result of pro logic ll or is this amp not really 100x6? My yamaha is 85x4 but seems more powerful.

"I think when I switch to 2 channel it seems louder. Is this a result of pro logic ll or is this amp not really 100x6?"

Yes. The surround processing changes the perceived, if not real, loudness. I notice it also on my Denon. I don't know why that is. And, yes, the amp is probably not really 100x6, but I doubt you're even approaching its limits with those high efficiency horns.

DD

from my experiences at home, running in PLII puts most of the sound onto the center channel (one lascala is a lot "quieter" than 2 k-horns). PLII also seems to decrease the overall volume a bit because with the more speakers running, the sound becomes more easily muddied and blah and ya (dunno how else to describe it)...i think the PLII designers took this into account and EQ'ed things to be more airy and give the speakers more room to breathe.

and lastly, a lot of recievers tend to have different amp ratings for the various modes...i know that my denon puts out more per channel in stereo mode than it does running all 5 (can't remember the exact numbers, but i think it's 250 in stereo per channel and then 125 when running in surround)

if all you're experiencing is a difference in volume, then just turn it up when you switch between the different modes...and maybe tweak with some tone controls and see where that gets you.

so to answer your question, it's probably a result of both...i wonder what things will sound like with an awesome reciever. that's quite a setup you got!

Thanks, I think the pro logic is partially responsible. I also think the reciever is weaker than I'm use to. I definately need something better. I was also wondering how to post pictures on this board. I would like to put some up.One last thing, My room is 22x14 and I only have room in the rear for the lascalas. I set about 13 feet from the screen. I currently have the lascalas in the corners toed in and on the floor. Should they be on stands to raise them to the fronts level and turned straight or what?