Outlaw 750 w/Denon 4800

Mike Lindsey

I am about ready to purchase a Denon 4800 to go with my Epic CF-2's/KLF-C7/RS-3 speakers. I currently have a Yamaha M-4 Amp, C-4 Preamp and T-7 tuner that I have owned since 1982. Now that I am branching out into HT (I have been a 2-channel guy for a long time), I feel that the 4800 is a good fit for me...musically and financially. Biggrin.gif

I would have to say that I listen to music just as much (if not more) as I watch movies. Knowing this, how do you all feel about the Outlaw 750 amp (165 w/5 ch) powering the fronts, center and SVS 20-39CS Sub... and then letting the Denon power the 4 surrounds (I'll get another pair for the rear)? Is this overkill? Will this sound better in 2-channel mode versus the Denon? Would I be better off getting the 5800 for a few hundred dollars more? What would you do, if you were me?

I know that's a lot of questions, but after reading a number of threads on this board, I know you guys are up to the task. Wink.gif

BTW, my listening room is 3-sided, 15' x 15' x 17' with the 4th side open to the kitchen and the hallway. The ceilings are 10' in the family room and then 15' in the kitchen...

Thanks for your answers in advance,

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 05-23-2001 at 01:34 PM

Mike, why not consider Acurus? What about a Denon 3801 and an Acurus 125X5?I've owned an Acurus amp for many years and it has been totally reliable.Lots of juice too.It drives front and rear floorstanders and a center.Worth checking out,IMHO. Smile.gif

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the response. I might consider the Mondials now that I'm looking at amps in that price range. I'm also thinking about an older Denon separate (POA 2400) to drive my fronts and have the 4800 pick up the center and the 4 surrounds. The POA 2400 is 200 w/ch and is an Optical Class A amp, whatever that means. Does that mean it's somewhere between Class A and Class B? Any other ideas for stereo mode?

Thanks again,

Mike