Help me find placement for my surrounds! *pics*

iibbmm sa

I am currently using RS3II's in the rear of my home theater, but cannot come up with a good place to put them. I have a young daughter who will destroy any speakers mounted on stands, and I cannot pull my couch away from the wall. On one wall to the side of my couch is a window, and on the other wall, well, there is no wall for about 25 feet, in the dining room. The ceiling is a vaulted design. So, you know, help me out here. I obviously won't be able to get this perfect, but anything is better than my current placement.

The speakers are currently to the direct sides of my couch, placed on end tables. Very very bad. They are hard to see in the first pic, but you should be able to find them.

4.jpg

2.jpg

First, can you exchange your RS-3s for white ones? It might make them less obtrusive visually against all the white backgrounds.

Then, and this will take buy-in from your wife, how about "flying" them from the ceiling - mounting them to a backing plate which is fastened to a pipe of some kind mounted to a bracket on the ceiling?

your room looks like maybe you can make a corner shelf.

If you can do that, perhaps you can place both surrounds on the shelf about 5 feet high off the ground. you can always move your sofa 1 ft forward when watching a movie and move it back afterwards. i cannot tell how much room there is there. The speaker still may not fit on the shelf.

In your situation, bookshelfs may be better then surrounds. If you had bookshelfs, it might fit in the little area from the back wall to the window. one other suggestion is to place the surround veritical instead of horizontal. I am not sure how much it would affect your sound in the small room.

Most ideal however is like someone else said. Fly them off the ceiling from the side position and angle them down towards the sitting area. Surrounds from the side is ideal in a 5.1 setup.