Cornwall II mid range problem

bsacco

I'm the owner of re-sized corwalls due to (WAF).

The speakers have an annoying 1-2K push in the mid-range. The construction of the boxes have a 2 x 4 running from the inside back to the inside front (just above the woofer and below the horns.

A friend of mine says this piece of wood may be contributing to not allowing the box to resonate. I asked him if the re-size to a smaller box would create this 1-2k push. He said no and that it would be more likely that the re-size would effect lower frequenclies NOT 1-2K. His advice was to remove this brace. Before I do so, I thought I might check the forum to see if anyone could confirm or deny the problem.

Any suggesttions are welcomed.

THanks

When you resized your Cornwalls, you very likely changed the overall voicing of the speaker. By changing the low frequency response (attenuated in the lows with likely new peaks and valleys in the entire bass range), the mids seem to stand out more relative to the other frequencies. The stock Cornwalls are already a little "midrange foward" in their voicing (which I actually like), so it's probably been exaggerated with the new downsized Cornwalls.

Compare the voicing of a La Scala vs. the Khorn. Same mid and treble sections, but the Khorn has a much better tonal balance with its bigger basshorn (no offense intended for your La Scala fans, I like them too).

There are trade-offs in every design, i.e. a smaller box will decrease efficiency and likely cause more peaks and valleys in the frequency response. The compromise occuring in the new Cornwalls can probably be resonably compensated for with a parametric equalizer.

Regarding removal of the brace....HHHmmmm....I might leave it to help reduce distortion. Others may have some better ideas.

Warm regards,

Andy